Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

ru4por 12-30-2020 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peabody (Post 3674603)
We were supposed to have 20 million inoculated by tomorrow. We are just a hair over 2 million.
At this rate it will take more than a year to get to everyone that wants one.
What if we discover the vaccine is only effective for four months to a year. There will be folks that are waiting for their turn when the vaccine schedule for essential workers and the elderly starts all over.
If we can't drastically increase the amount then our hope for 2021 becomes our hope for 2022?

Yeah, I have been warning of this. The timeline reported was not realistic to begin with. The execution has been even worse. The planning was left in the hands of the Federal government, who that was gonna work?

paul2432 12-30-2020 10:11 PM

Quote:

We were supposed to have 20 million inoculated by tomorrow. We are just a hair over 2 million.
What if we discover the vaccine is only effective for four months to a year. There will be folks that are waiting for their turn when the vaccine schedule for essential workers and the elderly starts all over.
If we can't drastically increase the amount then our hope for 2021 becomes our hope for 2022?

At least this is a start. The Moderna (sp?) vaccine is much easier to deliver as it doesn't need the crazy cold temps to keep it from spoiling as the Pfizer vaccine. I would think (and hope) Pfizer which has all the $$ in the world refines its vaccine so it can be easier to ship and dispense. We're at the beginning of a very long process to get all people vaccinated and it's a process that hopefully and likely gets better as time goes on.

DG_player 12-30-2020 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-Ogre (Post 3674599)
If there arenít any pilots to fly the planes, the sick people (COVID and not) in our city and in the villages in our area wonít get to the care they need. Not a good situation.

After propping up the healthcare system, there are a lot of differing opinions on prioritization and many of those opinions have valid points. I believe that in most cases the people designing the vaccination schedules have made their best effort to balance the many viewpoints and come up with something that may work.

I don't know. I'd have to think it would be a real kick in the balls to be a waiter or some other low end high risk job, get forced back to work because your government is unwilling to do what it takes to help you pay your bills and keep food on the table, only to find out that you're behind someone teaching virtual classes from their living room on the vaccine list.

DavidSauls 12-30-2020 10:34 PM

Quote:

It's probably a mistake to interpolate the future based on the first few weeks of the rollout. More vaccines, different people in charge, lessons learned....it could get rolling in a few months. Or not.

DG_player 12-30-2020 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3674600)
I am going to venture a guess that the lack of a national results database creates logistical issues with whom the previously infected are.

My 90+ y/o father in law, in not really high risk. He is elderly with a couple health problems, but he goes NOWHERE. His exposure is also limited to two people who go nearly nowhere. To keep him at home and out of harms way is not difficult. Do we place a priority on getting the economy kickstarted before getting to these folks? I don't want to pretend I have answers. I just want a plan.

Outside of healthcare workers and first responders, I don't see a real reason to use anything other than risk of poor outcome, and risk of spreading the disease as reasons to prioritize vaccination.

I haven't seen the final version, but in my state the draft version went like this:

1A Health care / first responders
1B nursing home staff and occupants
2A 75+ with conditions / Essential workers

Essential workers included occupations like teachers (all of whom outside a few private schools are all teaching virtually where I live), mail carriers, a bunch of random government employees, grocery store workers, and a few others.

Obviously 1A and 1B make sense. I understand grocery store workers, they're exposed and could potentially expose other people. But the rest of them, why in the world are they next on the list? It just makes no sense at all to me. The whole point of the vaccine at this stage is to protect the vulnerable and interrupt the chain of transmission, why in the world are we vaccinating someone teaching virtual classes from their living room before a waiter or store clerk???

dehaas 12-30-2020 10:55 PM

Essential employees are not the same as people in high contact jobs.

Teachers have the ability to work remotely but if they are all sick the education system falls apart. Last time I checked education is a big deal...

dysmike 12-30-2020 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dehaas (Post 3674641)

Teachers have the ability to work remotely but if they are all sick the education system falls apart. Last time I checked education is a big deal...

The teachers I know are also concerned about being forced back into the classroom. Because they function as baby sitters, so people can go to work.

Ess-dog 12-30-2020 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3674607)
Yeah, I have been warning of this. The timeline reported was not realistic to begin with. The execution has been even worse. The planning was left in the hands of the Federal government, who that was gonna work?

It was the Trump Admin(Feds) that allowed the states to go every which way in response to the virus and had a policy of letting people get infected in the hopes of economically doing better than countries that were locked down and hopeful herd immunity. I suppose in some ways if only a few million get vaccinated and cases blow up even more they'd be happy that we didn't waste resources. So exactly as planned.

DG_player 12-31-2020 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dehaas (Post 3674641)

Maybe education is important where you live, but where I live everyone is homeschooling their kids, except the people that can afford to send their kids to a classroom with other kids and have a tutor chaperone their virtual lessons, or have their kids in private school. (All of which to my knowledge have resulted in zero cases)

I'd agree with you if I actually thought there was any intention to open schools this year.

DavidSauls 12-31-2020 06:40 AM

It seems odd to say, "Teachers are working virtually, why vaccinate them?" I think the idea is that if they're vaccinated, they don't have to work virtually anymore. In-person schooling is better for the kids, better for the parents, and better for the economy.

I don't have a problem with the concept of "essential workers". Keeping the economy and vital services running is a valid concern, and we can have more than one emphasis. The problem comes when defining "essential workers" -- as every trade group is lobbying to be included.