Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

BogeyNoMore 04-15-2020 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutalbrutus (Post 3575651)
I can't figure out how to post this because it wont give me the option to save it but its maybe the best meme ever...lol

The Warriors social distancing PSA...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B--ytNUH...=1hzmy2b2ap1ve

(if someone else more computer literate than I can post it, go for it and take all the credit.:D)

That's classic! :clap:

pearlybakerbest 04-15-2020 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jugular (Post 3575277)
I don't know why that is more effective than, or why it wouldn't work to, build a vaccine that covered all known strains.

This is because some virus types, like flu, are much harder to create an effective vaccine for. I'm not a virologist, but I recently talked to my Uncle who ran a drug start-up on an HIV maturation inhibitor during the late 90's/early 00's that he sold off to big pharma about this. He has a former colleague that has been working on a swine corona virus vaccine for the better part of a decade. Apparently, every time they think they have a viable vaccine and inoculate a sample of pigs, the majority of them end up contracting the full virus and not just the antibodies. That phone call didn't give me much hope for a vaccine soon.

aclay 04-15-2020 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robdeforge (Post 3575596)
real life quote, from today, in a FB disc group i'm a member of:

I have a better chance of getting struck by lightning. At my age I donít want to waste any more time not doing the things that make me happy even if it is for only one day and Iíve never been a conformist. Those that donít want to take the risk for the greater good can always just stay home for the next 6 months and let the rest of us die in peace please...

:wall: i'm deactivating my account - not worth the headaches

I saw covidiots in their natural habitat today when I was playing a solo round. Group of 5, 4 of whom appeared to be in their 20s. I saw two guys standing shoulder to shoulder talking and swapping plastic. I saw another member of the group grab a putter out of the practice basket and toss it to someone. Sadly, their poor decisions are not likely to directly impact them; they are young and likely healthy. However, someone's mother or father or grandmother or grandfather will likely get sick and might die as a result of these actions. :wall:

BogeyNoMore 04-15-2020 10:51 PM

IRS website to check on your coronavirus payment.
If you owed money for the 2019 tax year (as I did for the first time in years), you may need to use this site to enter your routing and acct #'s to receive your payment.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

R-Ogre 04-15-2020 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pearlybakerbest (Post 3575922)
This is because some virus types, like flu, are much harder to create an effective vaccine for. I'm not a virologist, but I recently talked to my Uncle who ran a drug start-up on an HIV maturation inhibitor during the late 90's/early 00's that he sold off to big pharma about this. He has a former colleague that has been working on a swine corona virus vaccine for the better part of a decade. Apparently, every time they think they have a viable vaccine and inoculate a sample of pigs, the majority of them end up contracting the full virus and not just the antibodies. That phone call didn't give me much hope for a vaccine soon.

On the other hand, I understand that there has been a vaccine for some flavor of bovine coronavirus for a while. We will see I guess.

ThrowaEnvy 04-16-2020 10:37 AM

On a job yesterday, I talked to them a few weeks ago about social distancing.. No problem, the house is yours and one carpenters.. Drop down there and it's going to its usual mad panic, 2 carpenters a drywaller, 2 labourers (outside), the wife and the guy that hired us and his right hand man organizing it + two electricians. Seems to me that's about 5 people that don't need to be there. Hard push for the next 10 days before the insulators show up and drywallers right behind. It's a little annoying, they are trying to be good about it, sort of, but they are failing at it.

Then he's asking if I have more manpower to handle the changes and audio system... I got one more guy but he won't go near this job! It's one of my regular wealthier clients that continually causes a cluster f*** but it generates some needed hours and revenue. At least we or I am wearing masks and gloves... for shame, for shame.

JuanA 04-16-2020 10:59 AM

How many people here plan to continue social distancing once the states start opening things back up?

I'm a bit of a loner...I don't go to bars, clubs, sporting events, movies or concerts. For me, this isn't much different than my usual life. I plan to keep up this lifestyle until at least the end of the year, regardless of what the white house says.

WeatherWimp 04-16-2020 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuanA (Post 3576031)
How many people here plan to continue social distancing once the states start opening things back up?

Probably social distancing until a vaccine (2022?) unless somehow the virus goes away. That may come across as a crazy paranoid person but it is a rational risk tolerance call on our part. Between my wife and I we have 5 of those underlying issues and age. This greatly increases the chances of our outcome turning out to be very unpleasant.

Not really even sure the reality has set in yet for how long that may be, but we started a few weeks before our state went on stay at home type orders and so far it has been ok.

VictorB 04-16-2020 11:43 AM

Quote:

I will be. Disc golf, I can definitely keep my distance, the majority of the time I practice or play solo anyway.

I just got into playing hockey last winter with my son, and I'll definitely have mixed feelings on if I should pick that up again or not when the rinks open back up. I had signed up for an adult learn to play instructional league that was postponed, and I'd really like to do that but I'd need some time to get my skates and legs back under me anyway.

As for other activities - I don't do much else. Maybe fishing every once in a while. I have a home gym, so no need to be around others for that either. I just upgraded my computer knowing that I'd be spending a lot of time inside, and will continue to do so until whenever it's necessary. (note: I'm an essential worker so I go to work every day as normal. I just wear a mask these days, nothing else has really changed)

BogeyNoMore 04-16-2020 11:55 AM

Quote:

I'm a bit of a loner...I don't go to bars, clubs, sporting events, movies or concerts. For me, this isn't much different than my usual life. I plan to keep up this lifestyle until at least the end of the year, regardless of what the white house says.

I'm in a pretty similar boat. I don't go to bars at all, don't eat a lot of meals out, or go to many movies. I really don't get close to a heckuva lot of people anyway. Keeping the distance from people won't be a problem for me.

However, for people that need to use mass transit,. Which includes literally millions of people in New York, DC, Chicago, San Fran... social distancing could be real problem. My daughter is one of them.

I bet Pop Warner football gets screwed over big time. I'm sure a lot of parents won't let their kids join team sports this year.

And who knows what implications this could have for school....