View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 08:02 AM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 22.4
Courses Played: 124
Posts: 12,916
Niced 681 Times in 365 Posts

You should visit your parents more.....and stop by, we're on the way (if your route is I-26).

For Menacewarf, I'm not sure how much of our experience is instructive. I will point out that wooded holes are harder to build, but much easier to maintain, than open holes. Keep the chainsaw handy; it's surprising how many trees or parts of trees fall, usually in bad locations.

If you open it to the public you have to deal with the consequences. 98% of visitors are great, but the other 2%.....

For us it gives double use of the property. The fairways are also walking trails/ATV trails/hunting areas that we'd never clear just for those purposes.

If you have vines in your woods, you'll be amazed how much you come to despite them.

Budget for supplies (string for weedeaters, etc.), fuel (mowing?), repairs and replacement of both power equipment and manual tools.

In our case, because we bought land suitable for a very good disc golf course, it's allowed us to meet lots of lots of wonderful people, both at tournaments we host and among the society of traveling disc golfers. I'm in South Carolina and I've had at least a half-dozen guests from Wisconsin and Minnesota, and had tournament players here from Connecticut and Alaska. It's been a great pleasure.
Reply With Quote