Old 05-14-2019, 05:42 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 137 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Unfortunately for your theory, the BEST way to get better and be pro is to build a strong inventory of practice discs. Players simply cannot afford to do this. In most sports you do not have to play a bunch with equipment to really make it work. Sure you can work in a glove, and there are probably other examples... In disc golf, there are so many choices, plastic types, differences in flight based on weight, color, run and material you need plastic to practice. Nixing, players packs, trophies and paying out is the best way to get players to pro because it gives them the tools they need to get better. I got better because I got up to 10 TL's, Leopards, Destroyers, etc... not because I get a DX aviar in a players pack.

Also, a TD willing to carry multiple manufacturers allows players, with payout, to trial a new company they might not otherwise try. It keeps the big fish from being able to sample their discs when the smaller or up start guys simply cant seed 40 or 50 events a year with players pack items. They rely on payouts for that kind of growth.
I honestly couldn't disagree more. The best way to get better is by having practice discs? Come on. Give Paul McBeth an allotment of 30 discs for the whole season and he's still the best player in the world. I'm willing to bet there is zero correlation between number of discs owned and skill level once you get past 10 or so discs.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by discgolfer25; 05-14-2019 at 05:44 PM.