Old 05-15-2019, 09:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,113 Times in 563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Unfortunately for your theory, the BEST way to get better and be pro is to build a strong inventory of practice discs. Players simply cannot afford to do this. In most sports you do not have to play a bunch with equipment to really make it work. Sure you can work in a glove, and there are probably other examples... In disc golf, there are so many choices, plastic types, differences in flight based on weight, color, run and material you need plastic to practice. Nixing, players packs, trophies and paying out is the best way to get players to pro because it gives them the tools they need to get better. I got better because I got up to 10 TL's, Leopards, Destroyers, etc... not because I get a DX aviar in a players pack.
Strongly disagree.

The best way to get better is to practice A LOT. You can practice with what's in your bag, every day. Of course having a few extras of your most used discs helps - but I don't think not being able to afford to buy a few extra discs is going to keep someone from getting better if that's what they really want. We get too tied up in the equipment side of this game, when the best players play well because they play and practice so often.

I don't have 10 of every disc that I throw, not even putters. Having that many won't help me get better, most of them just sit in storage. Focusing on your most used discs, and putting, is how you'll improve. I think comets and wasps are the only things that I have 10+ of, and that's mainly because I've been throwing them on and off for over a decade.

Last edited by VictorB; 05-15-2019 at 09:11 AM.