* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,755 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
...at once. Ring of fire.

How far away do they need to stand for the launch?
Not sure I'd want to do a ring of fire. Maybe more of a semi-circle of fire leaving the down-wind direction open. I would not someone to get hit by this thing coming down under chute. Even with a larger chute it'll still be coming down at around 5-15 FPS which will definitely leave a mark if it hits someone. The Tripoli Safety Code states that for a motor of this size the minimum distance for spectators is 100'. However, most launches the launch director may want to set it further back because its such an odd shape. At this launch they had me set it on the pads that were ~300' back.

This thing has been so well received both here and at this launch that I think I am going to completely rebuild it from top to bottom. Starting with a fiberglass center tube and possibly make it so disassembles for easier transport. This thing is a royal PITA to fit in a car or even a SUV. Also need to figure out a way to make the basket section more rugged so it doesn't pop off like it did yesterday. Everything on it is kinda janky and delicate. The rear plywood plate is starting to delaminate. I need something that is going to stand up to more launches. Heck...I might even paint it.