View Single Post
Old 10-28-2021, 01:32 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 181 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
Almost all of my early releases are when I'm rounding too much. If I concentrate (during practice) on pulling the disc in tight to my chest, in a straight line, the discs shoots out and is almost never early released. I think the very nature of rounding, where the disc is out way in front of your chest with at least a foot or more of space (and your arm is straighter than it should be, never getting to a 90 degree bend) can cause you to early release because the disc is off the line, to the left of the line (RHBH) and will shoot off to the left side, often early.

One way to make sure you're not rounding, and that the disc gets pulled into your chest area tight (bent elbow 90 degrees) is to slow down that early part of the throw, from the X step to the initial pull through, just like I mentioned above. When you slow down that part, getting the disc to come into your chest and getting your elbow bent is a lot easier because everything is moving slower.

You can speed things up later when you get the timing right. Right now I'm concentrating on a slower x step and initial pull to make sure I'm doing the fundamentals correctly, just as HUB noted in that video I posted above, and seeing success. Once I get the timing down perfectly and it becomes second nature is when I will add the speed back.

I struggled with the arm quite a bit and just recently came the realization that rounding is just your shoulder hinging (think of how your elbow articulates) when the shoulder should be rotating (internally and externally). Any time that you are not rotating the shoulder joint you will round, angles donít really matter in that regard. You can still throw far rounding but itís not getting to the root of the problem which is how the shoulder joint is articulating.

So I disagree with there being any timing issue or anything like that. Your body should all work together correctly if you are performing the door frame drills correctly. Not so much timing as it is a motion pattern issue. Trying to move slowly wonít really help that.

I agree that accuracy is definitely a rounding issue but not so much due to speed, some certain angle, or having the disc too far in front and not tight (look at GG or Wiggins). Itís more due to movement patterns and articulation of the shoulder. Which if done correctly will get you a huge release angle greater than 90 without you even trying to do it.

Hopefully this helps.

Dan