Old 06-12-2017, 08:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,849 Times in 750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
The argument is that if PDGA events stopped having the big payouts---in prizes or players packs---they wouldn't have to charge the big entry fees. The entries are inflated to cover the payouts; the payouts are justification for the entry fees. Which an awful lot of players seem to like, judging by their attendance.

If PDGA tournaments were truly Trophy Only (no players packs), they could be like those Madeline Bertrand events (except for the PDGA membership part).
Yeah, the PDGA membership part is what scares off a lot of people in my experience. I've tried to get people to go to tourneys before but usually get the same response, "Oh, you gotta pay an extra $10 or pay $60/year? Yeah, no thanks." So even at a price point of $25 PDGA and $35 non-PDGA I would have a hard time convincing folks to go. I think there is mentality of gee I have to pay extra 'cause I'm not part of their exclusive club so I don't wanna go blah blah blah...

I thought the PDGA required some sort of player pack to be a certain percentage of the reg cost? Maybe not?

-Dave