Old 11-11-2019, 11:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 329
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 299 Times in 150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
But what you said only makes sense for people who lack willpower. Obviously I don't know you, but I believe you have enough willpower to not spend your days staring into a screen solely because you own a smartphone. You've already gotten over social media, a smartphone won't magically make you go back.

Denying yourself the tools of a smartphone is like building a deck with a hammer and nails. Sure, you can get the job done. But my drill and I will get it done in half the time. Which leaves me more time to spend with my loved ones.

thanks for the vote of confidence. i don't think i'll fall apart if i get one but i do feel that it's easier for me to stay focused on my priorities without one. there really aren't any particular functions of a smartphones that would make that big of a difference in my daily life. if i need digital access outside of the house for whatever reason, i bring a tablet and find a wi-fi network. otherwise, i just let other people ask their phones about "food near me"... one of the few things i can't do without a smartphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
The majority lack the willpower that would allow them to use their phone well. I am impressed by people who recognize their lack of self-control and take steps to protect themselves from things that could easily become addictive or counterproductive.

I can't imagine what of use I'm denying myself by not having a smartphone. Of course, I've also built two homes without a drill or a nail gun, so I likely have quite different values than you.

Time-saving devices do not generally improve quality of life.

i totally agree

quality of life for me is typically measured by how often i can unplug and be out of communication with the social and business world at large. i'm a teacher and i spend a lot of time with a lot of different people one-on-one and in groups every week. i like to be alone on days off, or with a small group of friends, preferably outside

Last edited by dreadlock86; 11-11-2019 at 11:37 PM.