View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 04:46 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 75 Times in 37 Posts

I was in tournaments in July, September, and October that had PDGA Live Scoring. July was Am Worlds and only one guy in 5 days of playing wanted to do it and that was on the last day in the Semis.

In September the TD said we had to do live scoring. We kept a paper scorecard also. It's a good thing we did. There were problems with the interface (maybe because the guy(s) using phones to score are old and have old eyes) but there were some glitches.

There were problems with the live scoring app in October too. It's a good thing we kept a paper card then also.

I don't use my phone at all on the course. So I couldn't keep score at all (I did the paper card those two rounds).

While live scoring is great for administration. There's no lag waiting for TD and staff to get card order/hole assignment between rounds. Everything else runs smoother because of that. I can't see forcing me ever using a phone to do it. Unzip a pocket, pull out my phone, key in the password, get the app up, enter the scores, turn off the screen, put the phone back, re-zip the pocket. Whew! And during tournaments I generally leave my phone in my car anyway...

I've got mixed feelings about it.

Does live scoring work without a cell signal?
There are quite a few courses I've played where there is no cell service.