View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 04:30 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 134 Times in 51 Posts

After retiring, I lost my senses and bought a little piece of land and 9 used baskets. Since then, my two sons and I have been developing both an 18 hole mini course and an 18 hole full size course on the property. After a year and a half of daily work, we've completed the mini course and are a few weeks away from finishing the front 9 on the full size course.

Yes, it's been a ton of work, but we knew that going in. We're cutting the course in extremely dense vegetation with a couple of chainsaws, one tree at a time. Most self respecting developers would mark the fairways with tape and then hire a crew with a bobcat and dump truck to make short work of it. Not having any experience in course development though or funds to hire contractors, we're taking it slow to try and minimize mistakes.

Despite the many hours we've invested so far and the many more ahead, this has been an exciting and rewarding experience. We've already made lots of new friends in the local disc golf community and of course having two courses in our backyard is pretty awesome (now if I only had time to play!). But the thing I've enjoyed the most is all of the possibilities for creative expression. Everything from designing the course to making the obstacles on the mini course to making the tee pads, tee signs, and benches.

I can't tell you how good it feels to start cutting a new fairway with only a vague idea of the hole's eventual identity or how it will play. And then sometime during the cutting and clearing the hole starts to take shape, you get that little bit of inspiration, and voila! ... you see it! The hole's unique identity is revealed in the trees and terrain. The tee pad and basket locations become clear and all of the possible flight paths show themselves to you. What was once a thicket is now a unique, fun hole with several challenging lines that players will enjoy for many years. There's nothing else quite like it!