Old 04-14-2019, 12:35 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 134 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
Additionally, I may have a source for free railroad cross ties to frame the tee boxes with. I've never put in paver tee boxes before, but if I can get the ties, I plan to partially sink them and use them to frame the paver tee boxes with the ties slightly higher than the level of the pavers. Does anyone anticipate any problems with this?

If you're going to use pavers then you'll need a frame to keep them from moving and railroad ties would work great for that. The railroad ties themselves also need to be stabilized and partially burying them in the ground may be good enough, depending on your soil. If not, they can be further stabilized by hammering rebar through holes drilled in the RR ties and into the ground. Another method is to use metal strapping to connect all of the RR tie pieces.

As for the size of your tee pads, you may want to factor in the dimensions of your materials. As an example, RR ties are generally 7" to 9" by 8' long. If your pavers are 12" x 12", then a small 4x8 pad could be constructed with two 8' RR ties and two 5'6" RR ties. The 2'6" cutoff piece could then be added to an 8' piece to make a 10'6" pad (or a 10' pad if your pavers are 12" x 12"). If you have an unlimited supply of RR ties though, then minimizing waste may not be necessary.

To allow for runups and safe finishes, you may want to build up around the outside of the RR tie frame using dirt, road base or mulch. The deeper you bury the RR ties, the less material you will need for this. And if it were me, I'd install the pavers at the same height as the RR ties to avoid tripping issues.

Niced: (1)