View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 12:35 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 27 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I've never thrown a Maul, but the Fuse can be pretty understable but also pretty nice. It feels good in hand and has a ton of glide. Before recommending more discs, try the Fuse on a hyzer release to throw a hyzer flip turnover shot.

Basically it's nice to have a disc that turns over every single time without any doubt. It is the worst if a disc is usually straight but if you hit it slightly too hard or there's some minor wind it'll turn. If a disc turns over and never comes back but in a way that it doesn't cut roll on you, like flip so hard and land on its right edge and roll, then it's not too understable. What you can do is take advantage of its flippiness by releasing on mild to moderate hyzer. During the first part of its flight it'll flip up to flat, all while going straight. Then it'll have a little more turn and once the right wing is down it'll finally start drifting to the right, but it might be halfway through its flight before this happens. Then if it doesn't have any fade on it, it'll just keep drifting slightly right for the rest of its flight and land pretty flat.

So you can control how far right a disc that's moderately to quite understable goes by how much hyzer you start it with. It takes a while to learn this shot, it's an advanced line, but it lets you throw so very interesting lines without any fade and really control the disc's entire flight.
Oh wow! That is so cool! I had no idea it would do that! I'll have to try that with my Maul and Fuse during field work and see if it does that. Throw it on a slight hyzer and a little left. But so far, no matter how I throw it or the Fuse, they just go right almost immediately on a huge sweeping anhyzer and never come back at all! The maul can sometimes go 350 without even trying that hard to throw it far, and a whole football field width or farther right!!! It's kind of crazy. I literally used to throw that thing dead straight, but over the last month or so (because my disc speed is moving up), I can't keep it straight to save my life! I threw one Friday when I was out practicing 350ish and in the trees about 20' right of the edge of the sidelines at the football field! It was INSANE how far right it went, and just gliding the whole way left to right. It was kind of cool to see what I can do with it.

So I definitely need to try that hyzer flip throw and see how it reacts. I'm just worried that if I tried that on a course, I'd bungle it all up, as I play WAY worse on the course than in the field. I'm actually getting pretty decent in the field, but on the course, it's usually pretty bad. I just fall into all my old bad habits within 5 holes or so and start strong arming everything and pulling right. No matter how hard I try to just take it easy and think about my good habits I have been forming. I used to be that way with golf as well. I was basically a par shooter on the driving range. I would have shot around par I could hit so well. But put me on the course and it all fell apart. It wasn't until way later that I got comfortable on the course and played well. Hope that happens sometime soon with Disc.

Thanks for the tip! And if you or anyone has any recommendations for a disc like I was asking about, that would be really helpful. Thanks