Old 12-10-2019, 12:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,974 Times in 1,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Has anyone ever in the history of the game taken Optional Relief from a tee pad or DZ? Or wanted to?
Sarah Hokom took relief directly behind a tee pad at Worlds this year. I don't believe she was specifically trying to take Optional Relief since she did not assess herself a penalty in the moment. So instead, she was saddled with a 2-throw misplay penalty for not playing from the designated tee area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Should we build in to the rules a specific ban on taking Optional Relief from the Tee? A DZ? Both?
I'm not in favor of adding such a ban. I'd be in favor of exploring the creation of a definition for line of play that can be applied to a tee/DZ.

That said, other than for safety concerns, I've yet to encounter a tee pad or drop zone on any course I've played where taking relief (with or without a penalty) would be advantageous to the player. And if it is a safety issue, the TD has the authority to address those concerns without need of rules or rules changes. For that reason, I don't know that addressing it should necessarily be a high priority for the RC.