Old 11-10-2019, 07:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,924 Times in 1,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norvelljeff View Post
I had a situation where a player on my card threw into a very, very dense thorn bush. He claimed "safety" and wanted to take his lie at the edge of the bush, presumable where the disc entered the bush, without penalty. I said no way, if you want to take relief in any way, its a stroke. He argued and we decided on a provisional but ran into the issue of accessing the lie to throw the provisional. He pretty much ended up throwing from the edge of the bush with and without a penalty stoke and counting one of the shots as the provisional. Upon explaining the situation to the TD, he claimed "oh yea, you can take relief for safety without penalty" and the lower score was used. Can somebody tell me how this should have been handled becuase I know that ain't right.
You were correct in that the official rules provide no relief for free due to "safety" (except to move away from harmful animals or insects 803.02). Regardless, any relief he took, penalty or not, should have been line of play relief, not where it entered like OB. Given the dispute, provisionals were the right call. I only hope that one of those provisionals was on the line of play but it's hard to tell from the description.

Seems to me the TD screwed up on the call. To take relief for safety without penalty, the TD would have needed to designate where and when it applies before the round is played so everyone is aware. Absent that declaration, the default is the rule book and the rule book grants no such relief. And, IMO, something being a "standard practice" at the course does NOT count as being a tournament specific rule unless it's actually documented for the tournament...e.g. announced at the player meeting, noted in the caddy book, stated on tee signs or scorecards, etc.

Niced: (2)