View Single Post
Old 12-03-2021, 10:22 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 347 Times in 195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I agree that putting is hard. Practice is the number one thing. Things like figuring out weight (sounds like you're getting this) are important, and then eliminating herky-jerky movements. Weight shift with your feet is big. It's easy to miss the top players doing this, but you need to find a good way to transfer energy from back to front, usually from back foot to front. Keep working at it. For me, practice with 30 putters and a practice basket is never the same as on the course practice. It's a good idea to keep at least two putters in the bag at all times, then putt twice on each hole. That makes for more realistic practice.
This is helpful & reassuring. Just this week I started to feel like I was rocking weight back from the front leg as I let the disc pendulum toward me, then pendulum back up as I transfer weight into my arm and then the disc. When I feel the weight of the disc the whole way through, I get much better putts and am thinking a lot less about things like angles, wrist position, etc. It's a much cleaner motion! I'll keep working on that and double-putt on the course more, even when I make the first one.

Quote:
As for forehand, I would have you look through the forum threads because there will be links to videos, etc. However, you'll occasionally find some things that are less helpful or occasionally even wrong.
At risk of being boring, that's why appreciate any direct advice. I'm entering that age where bad movements can lead more easily to tweaks & injuries that pile up, so I'm being especially careful now.

Quote:
You're right that a lot of players with naturally strong forehands came from throwing sports, but it shouldn't be that tough to incorporate a short forehand. 200' will be a stretch at first. I think the biggest thing is to start getting comfortable with the proper wrist action at lower speeds. One of the best practice discs is actually a Discraft Ultrastar or other ultimate frisbee lid. Part of why it's beneficial is 1) it's so neutral so you need good wrist action and it will expose poor form and 2) the grip is really awkward so it forces you to figure out how you should hold forehand discs. If you don't have something like an Ultrastar, then even a Comet or Polecat or other lower speed and neutral disc can be good for practice.
This is great. I do have one Ultrastar, a Comet, and a couple Pures I can use to practice FH. Last weekend I had a friend with a baseball background simplify my stance so that it's more neutral and with less movements, which instantly worked and felt better too. Will page through forums a bit and get started!

Quote:
Those are some early morning musings. Hope they help.
They do, thank you for taking the time!

Niced: (1)