View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 11:59 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 44.8
Courses Played: 326
Niced 1,265 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
They are par 5s because the designer said so. That's the end. Golf doesn't use scoring to determine par. And it wasn't so called, it simply was 12 under par.

If the ownership or management of a golf course believes a hole is too easy relative to par, the par isn't changed. Instead, the Hoke is either lengthened or some design change is made.

Steve, you struggle with par because you came into this not really understanding it, and refuse to change your misunderstandings despite what you see over and over again.
If it were disc golf, I would agree with your "because". However, I don't see anything equivalent to our "as set by the TD" in golf. Where do you get that from?

Obviously, a mistaken pre-understanding of a topic can limit one's point of view. I'm glad to see you don't think I had one of those. I had to start from scratch and look at official, original sources.

But, for the sack of argument let's look at it from your point of view: Wouldn't you agree that these holes need to be changed for Par 5 to be the score that an expert player would be expected to make for these holes?