Old 01-21-2019, 09:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 694 Times in 484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
If it were disc golf, I would agree with your "because". However, I don't see anything equivalent to our "as set by the TD" in golf. Where do you get that from?

Obviously, a mistaken pre-understanding of a topic can limit one's point of view. I'm glad to see you don't think I had one of those. I had to start from scratch and look at official, original sources.

But, for the sack of argument let's look at it from your point of view: Wouldn't you agree that these holes need to be changed for Par 5 to be the score that an expert player would be expected to make for these holes?
No, because, I , like everyone else in golf, rejects the so called definition of par. Well, I don't know if rejects is correct. They don't know it because it's ignored by everyone that matters. Hell the Tour's slogan beginning last year and going into this year is, "Live Under Par". lol

Literally one tournament organizer wants tournaments to end up with a winner close to par. That's the USGA, and they host exactly one tournament per year for the top men.

As many have pointed out over and over again, within a given par, there will be easy holes that play closer to the lower number, and hard holes that play closer to the higher number. No one in golf cares.