Old 01-21-2019, 12:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 694 Times in 484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Mis-stating the case you are arguing against is not a valid way to argue. (But you already know that, don't you?)

No one is advocating for a par where the winner is close to par (in ordinary conditions). Of course the winner will be a few or several under par, whether golf or disc golf, especially over a number of rounds. Par is "good", and winners have to be lucky and good.

Closer to par, yes, but not at or above par as you are misrepresenting.

We're just saying par would work better (and, by the way, would fit both sports' definitions) if it weren't set so low that every player in contention is under par.

Yes, there will be easy holes and hard holes. No one is saying all holes need to be hard in relation to par. We're saying there is a limit to how easy a hole can be before par should be lower.

Do you agree with that? Or can a hole that averages 2.5 be a par 5?

Just as there is a limit to how hard a hole can be before par should be higher.

You would not change the pars on these three golf holes, correct? You would also not adjust the holes to play harder, correct? What if they had been labelled par 3? Is it OK to change par to make holes easier in relation to par? Or, would you adjust these holes to play easier if they have been set at 3?
What am I misrepresenting?

There is no golf hole that would average 2.5 that would be designated a par 5. It's just not possible. That's because golf course designers adhere to something not unlike the PDGA guidelines on par. Par 5s are going to be over 500 yards, so that is going to take two full shots to get on the green. Holing out from the fairway on a par 5 is just really rare. So, you're going to have two full shots to even reach, then you have the difficulty of golf putting.

I never said anything about what I would do. I just presented you with what happens and what does not happen in golf.