View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 10:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 7
Niced 49 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
honestly a cheetah or gazelle can diagnose bad form almost as well as a leopard.
I'd say that the Cheetah might actually be better at diagnosing form problems than a Leopard. The Leopard might not let you know the difference between a more powerful throw and one with more OAT because it's designed to flip. The Cheetah will turn a bit more but go way farther on a more powerful throw and just flip more with OAT. The Leopard might just flip and crash either way.

Another important thing to consider with the Leopard, especially in DX, is the lack fade. Learning to play the fade is important in disc golf. You get a lot of predictability out of the fade. The Cheetah (and Polaris LS) has that fade, but is also relatively high speed understable, so it's both easy to throw for beginners and predictable.

If you need results right away, carrying something understable for really strong tailwinds might be necessary, but I agree that you'll learn more by forcing a few discs to fly well in those situations. A 30 MPH wind is difficult for many people to deal with and the more tools you have the better off you'll be. If you find that doing that sucks then add the understable discs until what you have beats up. It's probably not that big of a deal.

I tried to make this method a bit ambiguous as far as what specifically to carry because as long as you follow the general guidelines and get the specific recommendations right, a lot of it doesn't matter nearly as much. There are probably a dozen or so fairway drivers, mids and putters that will all work just about as well and arguing about which specific one to use, while fun, is probably splitting hairs. I don't want to tell people they need to buy new discs to get better, but the closer you can get to ideal the better off you might be.

Plus, it's difficult to make it too specific because people will start off at and progress differently. Someone with the goal of hitting 320' might stick with DX Cheetahs forever. Someone who's already hitting 350' but wants to reevaluate their game might find they get too understable too quickly and would be happier with a D Cyclone or DX Eagle-X. Someone might have an X Tracker sitting around and doesn't want to buy a new disc so they can use that. Variety is part of the fun of the sport and I don't want to take that away. Fortunately there are enough discs that fit my descriptions (not high end plastic, easy to control with some fade) that you can have that variety and use discs conducive to learning.

Niced: (1)