View Single Post
Old 05-03-2018, 04:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 94
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 322 Times in 162 Posts
Default Course Optics/Visibility

I'm interested in hearing about those of you who have designed courses and whether you have taken into account how a hole looks from the tee or how a course looks as it is walked.

For example, in a course that I am designing I have designed some holes based, in some part, on whether and how much the basket is visible from the tee box or near the tee box at least on the par 3 holes. For example, on the first hole, I chose a straight fairway based partly on the idea that when I play a new course, I like to be able to see the first basket from the tee. I think the hole works better that way anyway (because it has OB directly behind the basket and a somewhat narrow gap about midway down the fairway on a 250' slightly downhill hole).

On a couple of other holes basket placement will also be chosen in part on visibility from the tee box. Some of the clearing that is being done is also for the aesthetics of the course because the course is in a very pretty area but has a lot of underbrush that doesn't come into play but gives it an almost jungle feel that I'd rather avoid is some places.

Any thoughts?