View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 12:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 177
Niced 119 Times in 74 Posts

The last time I was there, I developed a fever early day two of our three day trip. At first I thought it was maybe food poisoning, or at least a bad reaction to the meat that was brought, but the more I think of it, I believe it was the water on site. We brought bottled water for drinking, but we interacted with the water in the Honka House a lot through cooking, showering, and whatnot.

I soldiered through the fever to keep playing, despite the carts we were promised not working, but my downtime was spent on the couch. We have nightly traditions of going to play Blueberry #3 over and over again, playing cards, and generally staying up late. I had to skip that, and that is one of the main reasons to go with this large group. For me, what made it worse was the trip back. The floods washed away all the roads except through Hayward (in no way a fault of HBH), and since I was heading from Highbridge to my sons' week camping experience at Many Point Scout Camp (five hours away under normal conditions), it was now a nine hour trip.

I was so sick that every hour I pulled over and tried to take a 20 minute nap before resuming my drive. This was Sunday morning, and my fever did not break until late Tuesday - those two days at Scout camp were miserable for me since I was the lead adult.

What I am saying is that once this HBH is back up and running, do not do anything half-assed and do not let things fall into a state of disrepair. I have lasting memories of that last trip, but most of it was not positive. I would love for HBH to become a destination again, but for now, I like what I see is happening at Chain's Edge in Mora, MN. It is a different style of play (tightly wooded), but if it becomes a destination and I have to pick between the two... Let's make Highbridge great again so it is actually a difficult decision.