Old 09-02-2017, 09:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 278
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,543 Times in 798 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgraham602 View Post
I've got to imagine that a disc to the head could do some damage.
Yes, it certainly can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgraham602 View Post
Is it common for people to use a disc golf courses for running and walking??
More common in some parks than others, particularly shared situations. This is why I don't necessarily think it's a good idea to "shoe-horn" a course into a shared use park amid walking paths/trails, or where there's other previously well established park activity.

You can't necessarily expect the general public to realize whether they are on a DG course or not, especially if the area is not clearly defined and/or shared use. The responsibility must lie with us, because we know what's happening. Soccer mom looking at her phone, with toddlers scurrying about, is simply strolling through park, completely unaware what someone else is doing 250ft away.

I handle those situations by politely (but convincingly) approaching the non players and explaining to them that while this is a public park, they are walking through a section of that has been designated for people to throw frisbees in, and that they might want to be watch out and be carefeul so no one gets hurt. It usually helps if you can point to the basket your throwing to and/or the tee you threw from.

Than said, I think most parks and recs depts do pedestrians and DG'ers a huge disservice by not posting signs that say "CAUTION: YOU ARE ENTERNG A DISC GOLF COURSE - WATCH FOR FLYING DISCS" at high traffic points of entry to courses.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 09-02-2017 at 09:52 AM.