View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 02:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

My almost 6 year old son throws about the same distance as yours on his longer throws. He throws mostly forehand although he can throw backhand too, just not quite as far or accurately. He has tried pretty much every disc I own I think. He even likes meat hooks like Gators and Firebirds although I think he's starting to recognize that they don't go as far. What he throws furthest typically (forehand at least) is a beat 150g ZeroG Scorpius (basically the same as a Blizzard Destroyer). It used to be my roller disc so it's pretty beat. I think the lighter weight is key for kids since they don't have as much strength as an adult. If I were buying him something fresh for a distance driver, I'd be looking at an understable mold that's pretty lightweight, like in the 130-150 range so it's easier to get up to speed and will have some turn even at 100 feet of power.

I also got him a mini Comet and he's ripped that thing over 100 feet a few times. Your 10 year old is probably beyond the point of wanting or needing to play with mini discs, but they are fantastic for smaller kids. For kids, I think the most important thing is that they're having fun so they want to keep playing. There are people on here who will say that buying them a high speed driver is irresponsible because it will teach them bad form, etc., etc. But I think that getting too up tight about teaching them perfect form or all those things they recommend for adult beginners is way less important for a kid than having a good time so they want to play again.