Courses Played: 364
Niced 1,673 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
Questions of definition:
I'll throw out some thoughts.

Quote:
Expert disc golfer: as I understand it, this is typically taken to be a 1000-rated player, correct?
“Correct” might be too strong of a term, but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of resistance to getting on board with a 1000-rated player being a useful and commonly understood interpretation of expert.

Quote:
Errorless play: this is where things get odd and tricky, in my opinion. First, what is an "error"? Does it consider an "error" a throw that hits an obstacle? A missed putt? How about a poor shot placement-wise, that doesn't give a reasonably open look for the next shot? Is that an error? This is, again in my opinion, where the PDGA rule for establishing par could benefit greatly from a reworking.
It would be extremely difficult to pin down which particular throws are errorless. However, I think it is a lot easier to identify the score the player expects with errorless play.

When players come back after a round and say “I left four throws out there today”, that means errorless play would have been four throws better. They might think it was the four putts they missed on those holes, but it might actually have been the result of bad upshots, or being a tiny bit off on three throws in a row, or any combination of full or partial errors.

They might not identify which throws had errors, but they know the score they should have gotten on those holes.

Fortunately, there is no need to look at or define anything at a more detailed level than the score.

Quote:
Ordinary weather conditions: It would probably be useful to have a good definition for this as well. My main question concerns whether (no pun intended) or not "ordinary weather conditions" refer to ordinary conditions ON THAT COURSE SPECIFICALLY, or is there one generic, across-the-board "ordinary condition," such as sunny, 70-degrees, with no wind, and a certain choice degree of humidity? In other words, is this a course-specific "ordinary weather conditions" or is there a general weather condition considered "ordinary" across all courses? I'm assuming it's course-specific, but I'm not certain of how this is interpreted and implemented in practice.
Course-specific. On the windward coast of Hawaii, calm would be non-ordinary, as would winds from the other direction.

I’d say ordinary is anything that didn’t noticeably mess with the scores normally seen on the course. If you can't tell if it's extra-ordinary, it's ordinary.

Niced: (1)