Thread: [Recommend] Next step up from a Leopard?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 481 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
I was around 225-230' with the Leopard a few weeks ago but have since added about 20-30' by changing my grip a little (actually discovered it working on my putting and it translated over nicely to my throws).

Thanks for the help and advice!
At this distance with a Leopard I would not advise moving up to any faster discs. You will not get proper flight out of them and will not see any real increase in how far you can throw one versus the other.

Stick in the 6-7 speed range until you can throw those discs 300 feet. At that time you might get another 30 feet out of a speed 8-9 disc but you will plateau at that distance until you clean up your form.

This is a completely natural progression for new and old players alike. A lot of really good players only throw 350 feet max in local leagues. Most courses are not designed with max distance pro players in mind and more strokes(throws, whatever people are calling them now) are saved with accurate tee shots, scrambling, and putting.

I bag a bunch of FDs (similar to a leopard). Sure, I can throw them nearly 375 feet with room.
But on the wooded low line you refer to I throw discs at the following distances:

midrange (speed 5) - 300
FD (speed 7) - 325
Thunderbird (speed 9) - 350
PD (speed 10) - 375
Wraith (speed 11) - 400

The point being that the line you are throwing the disc on will greatly influence how far you can expect to throw it.

Just a few years ago before I began cleaning up my form I could only have thrown the FD probably 300 feet max and the Wraith about 350 feet max. Discs with more potential for length will not improve your length without very clean form. Timing is everything (in life and in DG).