View Single Post
Old 05-29-2020, 10:12 AM

Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

Hey guys. Dusting this thread off. I wanted to share a ball golf video that provided a lot of clarity about what power perhaps "speed" is a better term) feels like to me.

Let me provide a little background. I played lacrosse at the collegiate level and just recently picked up ball golf after not playing at all for about 10 years. Miraculously, I pretty much instantly picked up driving the ball far and fairly consistently. I have been reflecting on how this seemingly accidental skill occurred. I am fairly sure it is from a direct carry over from shooting a lacrosse ball. Below, I will provide a lacrosse gif and a ball golf instructional video that seems to be explaining what I think I am feeling. Excuse the length of the post.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This is a very close example of my lacrosse shooting form.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ball golf instructional video clip.
Link in case embed isn't working.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The common thread here is the leverage on that front leg. This is the brace that everyone always talks about here. The problem is I have alot of trouble getting that feeling RHBH. I think it is because I am far to worried about getting off my back foot onto the front foot. I am technically shifting weight back to front (which is good), but in the wrong way. I am essentially hopping from one leg to another instead of shifting into that braced front leg.

As an aside, I realize nothing I am saying here is new. In fact, Sidewinder, hyzer, slowplastic, and anyone else who knows their stuff, talks about this concept all the time. The problem is I couldn't figure out the feeling. So what is the plan of action to implement this feeling into disc golf?
  • Alternate between lacrosse swing and backhand swing. Try to replicate front leg feeling.
  • Standstills only concentrating on feeling the front leg tension.
  • Stop worrying so much about feeling weight transfer. Worry more about getting into the correct postion. I.E., feel the tension in the front leg

I Think I want to emulate these guys. Their form seems to jive better with the athletic moves that I am used to and comfortable with.

KJ

Tristan Tanner

So is any, some, all of this making sense? Am I thinking about the brace in the right way? I would love any and all feedback. Again, I know you guys have talked about this concept a ton, but I needed to develop the concept in a way that my dumb brain can understand. Thanks for your time. You guys are the best!

-JPM

Niced: (2)

Last edited by JPM13; 05-29-2020 at 10:15 AM.