View Single Post
Old 09-07-2019, 04:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 56
Niced 53 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
I wasn't saying assess only the throw. Another skill which would be tested is the ability to assess the situation in the moment using depth perception, reading the leaves on the trees, etc. Playing smart and playing to your strengths would still come into play, as would sticking to a plan (but it would be more of a meta-plan).

Making judgements on the fly is a different skill than arriving weeks early and throwing each shot 100 times to calculate the best odds. (For example, it comes into play when the wind blows the other way than it did in practice.) If variety in courses is good as a way to illuminate all corners of the skill sets, maybe variety in preparation is also good.
That would be different, but not necessarily better. Being able to walk the course and get to know where the hidden trees and lines are allows players to throw much better shots. It'd also be terribly unfair for those who throw a good shot based on their sight from the tee that flies directly into a tree you can't see from the tee, or a terrible lie that no one could possibly have known from the tee.

I'd be more interested in the best throwers on the world walking a course but not being able to play it ahead of time. Maybe it's put into the ground 1hr before the first tee time and everyone has a chance to walk it or something.

Even with that, I still prefer the current format. I'd love multiple courses, multiple pins, etc. That'd force players to change up their styles a lot. Playing the same course three times isn't as fun for the championship. Trouble is, it's hard to find a city with multiple championship level courses that are great for viewers. Charlotte is a great place for that though.