Thread: [Innova] Innova KATANA
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2020, 11:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 922 Times in 559 Posts

I got a few more throws in last night, but again no time to measure. Sick kids at home (not COVID) plus the fridge going out this week have really stolen most of my frisbee time. I did my bring along my beat in go-to Trespass last night for comparison sake, so I can at least better estimate distances.

166 Champ Katana - Even on a forced over flex this guy wants to fight left fast. And while overstable drivers have their own usefulness, I prefer slower OS hogs when I want more control and that is certainly not something I get from this wide-rimmed of a disc. This one may be a dud for me that only comes out on windy days on wide-open courses. Too fast to control and too overstable to mash. Reminds of a super domey Ballista Pro, which I disliked for the same reasons.

162 Pro - This disc actually was the best of the bunch on force over throws. Nice full flight with enough stability to fight out. I can throw this disc hard, ugly, and torquey and it goes as far as a clean Trespass throw. Also feels fantastic in the hand forehand, although I don't flick distance drivers a whole lot. I can see this one making the bag for rounds on open ball golf courses.

162 Blizzard - My favorite among the new discs. Flips to flat from a hyzer release and goes far. Gives a full flight and max distance on a flat release. And if I force it over, it pans right for a looooong ways before having enough late fight to land flat and avoid cut-rolling. This is the stability/speed combo I was looking for.

Air King - Basically one stability slot less than the Blizz Katana. Meaning King on hyzer release = Blizz Katana on flat release, and King on flat release = Blizz Katana on anny release. I think this disc can be useful if you want a beat-in Katana from Day 1, but I imagine it will fall out of that useful stability range pretty quickly. It does go really far. This and the Blizz Katana were consistently the furthest fliers by 20'+.

Obviously the real test is getting these discs out on a course, but as far as open field throwing goes the Blizzard Katana and Air King do smash. Using my beat in Trespass as a rough measuring stick, I can safely say that both the King and Blizz were easily averaging 350'+, and probably over 360'. I won't report back with additional findings until I've had a chance to audition these discs on courses.