View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 01:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 312
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 304 Times in 145 Posts

Unfortunately, many of the non-disc golfers enjoying a park with a disc golf course have no idea that there is a course there, and clearly have no idea that we're throwing beveled edge projectiles, sometimes at 50 to 80 miles per hour. They might see a flying disc and think "Oh, they're throwing Frisbees". You know, the 119 gram, huge, flexible kind that rarely even sting if they do hit you unawares.

There are some who literally have no clue about the purpose of that post and chain assembly we're throwing at. I once met a lady who was walking by on the path 80 feet from our basket, who saw us putting out, and said "So THAT's what those are for!" There is absolutely no chance she would recognize a fairway as a place we throw through.

Whenever possibly, I politely inform and suggest. Particularly, I try really hard to imagine how I'd want to be treated if I were blissfully unaware, and focus on the fact that I'm thinking of their safety, not my enjoyment of the sport. It seems to help.

ps: if they become obstinate or rude, that's on them, but I'll still just pass on by and skip the hole. I'm not going to let folks like that ruin my day.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by sisyphus; 09-02-2017 at 01:33 PM.