Thread: [Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 11:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 162 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Sounds like some folks have no business throwing a Destroyer no matter the run.
that might be a bit unfair. for those who can't handle a beefy star destroyer you can use it for utility shots like a firebird.

look at the PD2 mold that eagle and simon throw... thats a ridiculously overstable disc that would normally be stupid for mortals to throw, but can be a great utility disc for a lot of golf lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I agree. You get guys buying star Destroyers who can't throw over 300'. At 300' you probably shouldn't throw ANY Destroyer, but stars are way beefier than G*, pro, or DX.

Makes you wonder how many guys bought star Destroyers merely because Paul McBeth threw them. Its like guys get tunnel vision and don't even realize that Destroyers come in every plastic available.
i remember a group of older (not really older but now reaching 40's) sponsored players (The Frizzaks) back where I learned how to play in Connecticut who actually built up their distance throwing overstable champ firebirds for field work.

i know there's a lot of issues that could be had from doing that but thats the way they learned and built up their arms for it and its weird because you end up seeing that by learning how to throw distance with such overstable discs in practice they also learned how to throw distance with flippy stuff like beat in rocs/comets/teebirds too. so depending on the conditions they learned the disc angles and throwing planes to throw far wether it be with a flippy leopard or a meathook PD2.

it is kind of impressive to see them just ask what the disc does "what is this? a PD2? overstable? a speed 12 firebird?" and then proceed to throw 400ft with it then quickly throw something flippy like a super beat in 12x teebird just as far.

Disclaimer: they all threw 95% backhand as what most pros did back in the mid-late 90's would do.