View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 06:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 197
Niced 1,089 Times in 741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timj5304 View Post
The thing for me is, how many NT or majors does he even play per year and what are his finishes when he does play in those events where all the so called elite players are at?

2012 I will use as an example
Tied for 14 at the memorial with Jeremy Koling, Philo Brathwaite and Derek Billings so not too great.
3rd place Kansas City wide open-very impressive finish only behind Feldberg and Schusterick
6th Beaver state fling-impressive finish once again over many top players
DNF the last round at worlds, dont think he was playing too poor outside of 1 rd. Based on his scores I would have guessed his finish in the 10-20 range
5th USDGC-tied with Nikko, beat a host of world class top guys
4th Vibram open-yet again same story right in there with the top tier guys

To me, yes he has not won NT events but it looks like he is consistantly making at least 1-2 final 9's per year at top events. I think if he was playing every single top event he would be put in the same sentence more often with top 10 guys. I personally feel he is every bit as good and consistant as the top few guys and am sure he has the respect from them. If it was a 1 rd event I would put my cash on Brinster over Koling, Jenkins, Ulibarri, Colglazier, McCabe, Schultz, Owens and Climo. I would rate him like Steve Rico that he is always up top but doesnt get the proper respect from the public. Only players I would personally say are better are Wysocki, Leiviska, Schusterick, Doss, McBeth, Locastro and Feldberg.
Steve was around 10th at the 2012 Worlds in Charlotte up to the last round, but he DNF'd because his wife went into labor with the twins. He got paid at Worlds even with the DNF. I rank Steve right where you have him, and to me that's pretty elite. He's always a contender to win any event and has the best driving form IMO. He's a nice guy too.