View Single Post
Old 10-28-2017, 03:39 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 314 Times in 180 Posts
Default Better Firebird for forehands?

Rather than further derail the Predator thread, I thought I'd start a new one. The forum has seemed kinda slow lately, anyway.

When I started playing this game, I picked up a 167-169(can't remember exactly) Star Firebird to throw forehands and overheads with. All the recommendations were right. It was the perfect control forehand disc up to about 300' for me. As it broke in on those Colorado rocks, though, it developed turn. It got longer, encroaching into Destroyer range, but it also got less reliable/predictable. So I picked up its twin to replace it. Eventually, that one needed replaced as well. So I've always wondered- is there a disc that I could throw forehands with that would break in like a Teebird or PD that maintains its HSS but just loses fade?

I'm starting to think that the answer is cleaning up my form to the point that I could just throw a Teebird or PD. But try as I might, I can't get rid of that last bit of wobble. There was a time for about two weeks at the end of my first summer playing that I could, and I threw some beautiful shots(including a slightly downhill hyzer flipped Nuke 558' and several 450'+ Destroyers verified by my laser rangefinder), but I couldn't do it again that next spring and I never have been able to since. If I throw a PD like a Firebird, it turns and burns. If I take some off, it doesn't go as far and still fades at the end.

So is there a disc that can continually maintain enough HSS for my less-than-perfect forehand as it breaks in, like Teebirds and PD's? Is it just a matter of figuring out how to throw less overstable discs than a Firebird to begin with? Or could it be related to the fact that forehands don't produce as much spin as backhands?

Last edited by jjmiller; 10-28-2017 at 03:42 AM.