Old 09-25-2019, 04:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 523 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
I don't think people outside of the sport have much of an opinion one way or another. Ask a stranger or someone who you just met, what their perception of disc golfers is. I think most will just draw a blank.

Thus the negative connotations associated with our sport are generally brought about by those who have a connection to the sport. I do know the public parks keep giving us more courses even though our current courses are never very busy except for leagues and tourneys. This doesn't mean they think highly of us though, as their reasoning seems to be more that we help keep a worse element out of the parks, so there is always that....we aren't the worst.
Unfortunately or maybe fortunately the last bit is true, especially around these parts.

This bit explains a bit from an article in our local paper last weekend:
https://www.pressdemocrat.com/lifest...y-disc-golfers

"Adam Domenick, another UFOS member, reports that the group is at work on a course at Youth Community Park, otherwise known as Rosa Park, across from Piner High School. In early July, 30 UFO members helped clean up 40 acres in the back of the park, which had been a large homeless encampment. They put up nine temporary baskets and held a small tournament, and are hoping to make it a permanent course."

The great part here, not mentioned in the article, is that perceptions ARE changing as those with parks departments or other city/county officials retire and are replaced by younger people who may actually know of, or even played Disc golf. The park talked about in the paragraph I quoted would not and could not have happened 4 years ago. There was at least one, maybe only one, vocal member of the parks department that would never allow Disc Golf on city property because of HIS perception, the stinky, dirty, druggy, hippies all of them. The work that has been done on that one course is changing perceptions locally and from what I can see talking with friends in different areas (all casual frolfers) that this is more the norm.

Niced: (1)