View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 07:53 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 32 Times in 17 Posts

I'm just now starting my 2nd year in Disc Golf and one of my goals is to learn to play the wind better! This past year I started with any type of down wind slamming my disc to the ground. But, as my form improved and I had a better understanding of disc selection, my down wind throws started improving by keeping a low flight off of the ground to avoid the wind. Using Valkyrie Pro, Destroyer, and a Shryke. But, for the past several weeks I've discovered that throwing up into the air, I can get more distance! I've done this with a Star Valkyrie, Mamba Echo, Leopard3, and a Thunderbird. So, I've done a lot of experimenting! Still trying to grasp aerodynamics of downwind throws.
Monday in Virginia Beach were expecting 20 to 30 mph hour winds with gusts up to 40. I plan on playing Munden Point which has a handful of open tee pads, and will be the first time I've played in those type of winds since April. The good news, is my form has improved dramatically since then I plan on parking myself a few times and emptying out my bag to experiment, and I just picked up a Wraith, Hades, and a Pig, so I'm curious with those discs.
So, I think it takes Patience, form improvement, wind knowledge, disc selection, and experimenting. Perhaps I'm missing something else? Also, my best distance is into the wind (love those air bounces), even better than no wind. That's been a head scratcher. In ball golf, it wasn't this complicated.