* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,707 Times in 1,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddyboots View Post
Two thoughts-
1.) I suspect that that style course is easier to film than a heavily wooded course, and I think the point to point kind of shots translate to the average viewer. How many times have you heard a commentator say "the video doesn't do it justice" in reference to a line or elevation change on a wooded course?
2.) People like a dog and pony show. I include myself when I say that we enjoy watching these guys throw 500+ feet out in the open. If you haven't played the course being filmed, you likely won't grasp the challenge of a wooded course.
Many of the media folks dispute your first point. They prefer to film in the woods. Sure the sight lines aren't as great, but given the limited options on a given hole, camera operators can more easily chose where to stand to have the best views to film from. In the open, the players can go in so many different directions, it's harder to a) choose a spot to get the best angle and b) track the disc out of the player's hand (speaking primarily from the perspective of catch cam).

While I'm not one who enjoys watching 500+ drives, at least not over and over again, I do agree with the idea that if you haven't played the course being filmed, you can sometimes struggle to grasp the challenge of it. But that applies to all courses, not just wooded ones. I enjoy watching USDGC more than I do the Memorial (two events that are described as open and "boring" by a lot of people) in part because I've played a couple dozen rounds at Winthrop and I've never been to Fountain Hills. I get more out of watching Idlewild or Maple Hill more than BSF or Masters Cup because I've played those wooded courses but never been to Milo or Dela, though I enjoy watching all of them more than I do something like the San Francisco or Utah Open.