View Single Post
Old 01-15-2022, 07:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.9
Courses Played: 130
Niced 8,399 Times in 3,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
These are valid points. I do not know if smaller diameter is the silver bullet, I think it deserves experimenting. I just know that the options currently available leave a lot to be desired. I also donít know if terrible disc flight is limiting youth participation, or if it is just the phase the sport is in where not a lot of kids want to play regardless of their ability to throw the disc.

Time to buy a 3D printer and just find out.
Just anecdotal. My nephew has grown up on a private course. He's been throwing since he was 3 (ace when he was 3 1/2, on a 65' hole at an elementary school). But.....he never really got into in, just throwing occasionally, having fun throwing minis, big minis, and superlight discs. When he was about 10, he and I laid out an easy course and played a few times.

........then, about 12, he caught the bug and got really serious about it. He just turned 14, has a backpack, and I see him out playing solo rounds sometimes, and with us whenever invited.

But he's an athlete, playing baseball and soccer all these years.

I got the feeling that maybe something about disc golf isn't going to fire up many younger kids. That they may have fun, but they're no likely to get serious. A high ratio of walking to actually throwing? Slow pace? Not a team activity? I don't know. Maybe mine is just a really small sample size, and meaningless.

Which isn't to say don't try. Just that maybe smaller discs won't move the needle much. But maybe you can try with big minis, and see if those generate much more enthusiasm, before manufacturing an entire new line.

Niced: (2)