View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 87
Niced 41 Times in 28 Posts

One of my local courses is a par 62 (I think?). In it's first PDGA tournament this year, SSA came out somewhere around 50. But nobody shot that score.

The problem is that a lot of the par 4s are nice par 3s with a 100 ft putter shot added on. It's not a distance issue, it's all about how it's laid out.

For instance there's a par 4 that's 440' uphill. The tree lines keep the green out of play, even for those who may have the arm to get it there. There is a landing zone about 300' away, at the top of the hill. From there it's an easy 100'-150' putter shot. 2s never happen, 3s are easy, par is 4.

There's another hole on the same course that is in the opposite state. About 100' off the tee, it makes a hard right turn, then goes 300' down a narrow fairway. I've seen a tee shot reach the pin once. It was on a fluke shot that just happened to find it's way through a tight off the fairway gap.

Most of the time it's a boring dump shot with a putter or mid to get to the middle of the fairway, then a long mid or short fairway shot to reach the pin. Yawn.

Putting tees or pins at some of these landing areas instead of requiring an extra putter shot to reach them would make the course much, much more fun.