Old 09-10-2019, 10:16 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 346 Times in 165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Its common around here to make one hole slightly different(either splitting long/short tee or long/short basket) for divisions intentionally so that the MPO scores/ratings wont be affected by the int/rec/novice scores. Of course they say its really for "flow" and to try to keep a backup from forming but its rather obvious sometimes that its really for the ratings.
I've had that conversation with players before. A player will say, "The MA3s here really drag down our ratings. You know, our paychecks rely on player ratings. You should give them a different layout so we don't get punished because of them." I nod along and say things like "Hmm, I understand where you're coming from" but then never do anything about it.
Afterward, you should go to the results page and do a quick hand calculation to see who's right.
MPO field: Calculate their average player rating, and calculate their average round rating
MA3 field: Calculate their average player rating, and calculate their average round rating

Last time I had that conversation and ran those calculations, I found that the MPO field shot 5 points above their rating on average, and the MA3 field shot 3 points below their rating. In other words, if I had put the MA3s on a different layout, then the MPO ratings would have fallen.