View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Well, I appear to have confused a lot of people.. I definitely wasn't trying to suggest that the videos or techniques shown directly describe disc golf form or technique.. you definitely won't get far performing irimi with a disc in your hand, for example. But ideologically I do think that there are similarities between these 'throws' and the disc golf throw. The techniques in the video do a really good job of depicting a very large object (i.e. the 'attacker') being whipped around a pivot point (the hand of the 'defender'). Ideologically, that's what we want to do with a disc.. yeah, I know.. it's done using a different form and grip and lead-in, and a disc has a *whole lot* less mass. :P This definitely takes some imagining.. I definitely wouldn't recommend even looking at the videos to someone who hasn't had some training in one of the four(?) arts I mentioned, but hopefully the thread title covered that.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is it feels to me that the same principles that whip the 'attacker' nearly off their feet as they are forced to pivot around the 'defender's' hand are the ones that 'snap' a disc out of your hand at the moment of the 'hit'.. and these videos are really good at showing that whipping motion in a really exaggerated way (an entire human body is moving, instead of just a disc).

Yes, I definitely agree that in terms of the actual arm motion, a backhand drive is most similar to a spinning back-fist strike or hammer-fist back strike. That was my starting point too, but I eventually came to the conclusion that there are specific aspects of generating 'snap' and the disc golf 'hit' that aren't addressed by the spinning back-fist strike.

As an aside to WillGrrr: Sadly, I'm several years out of training in Hapkido at this point. I haven't been able to find a school in town for it. But out of all the arts I studied (Tae Kwon Do, Karate Do, and Hapkido) I definitely enjoyed it the most.. very practical, with a good mix of striking techniques as well as throws, bars, breaking techniques, and controlling techniques.. not to mention lots and lots of break-falling. The particular videos I linked were just examples I found from a (not very) quick search on youtube.. I agree with you that the irimi looks pretty solid (iriminage was always one of my favorites.. I can't remember the Korean name for it, though), while the shihonage form isn't fantastic.