Thread: Disc/Arm speed
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2019, 03:01 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Niced 225 Times in 147 Posts

I'm not sure if there is this thing you're searching for.

There are rules of thumb which connect disc speeds to typical distance. Surely someone has some numbers. Destroyers are not made to be thrown only 300 feet. Speed 7 discs are well made for 300 feet shots. If you throw 350, speed 9 drivers might suite better. But this is only a rough rule of thumb. Preferences differ a lot.

Higher speed discs need less height to fly the same distance, thus in some situations you might want to have a faster disc for a short shot, just to be able to go unter branches or so. Higher speed discs also skip more. If you want to play skip shots, a wider rim (plus big fade) works better. (If you want to avoid a skip, use a lower speed disc.) You see, there are other use cases for higher speed discs, besides open field distance.

But to come back to your question: For the very beginning, start with midranges primarily. Then add speed 7 fairway drivers. You won't need more than them for a year or so. (A Champion Teebird or such will be all the overstability you'll need in this phase.) After that, buy a rather straightish speed 9 driver (like a Valkyrie). Try out in field practice if that speed 9 driver works in any way better than your speed 7 driver. If so, try it on the course and compare. If you get noticably more distance, while maintaining the consistence, then you should step up. But if you don't throw noticably farther or the results are more inconsistent, then why should you step up!? Repeat this experiment every once in a while, maybe some day the faster driver will suddenly work for you. In summary: I think you have to try it out. (Or show us your form and distances.)

Besides that, faster drivers show nose-up better than slower discs. If you work on that, having faster drivers comes in handy.

And as I said, speed 9 meathooks (like a Firebird) are typical utility discs, which you probably want to play with at some point. Even if you don't have them in your bag (although most players have), they can be a lot of fun and provide a whole different experience and possibilities to the game.

IMO most players don't ever need anything faster than speed 9.

I hope that helps.