Old 01-10-2020, 06:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 193
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 718 Times in 468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Fairbanks.1023 View Post
Haha thanks for the clarification. I've played other sports for money and am better under pressure so my thought is that having money on the line should only help me, as weird as that sounds. As for the pace of play, I've played by myself and in a gang of 12 people so I've been exposed to both. This tournament scene sounds very similar to my high school golf team...should be interesting lol. Thanks!
This is coming from a guy who plays up and usually finishes middle to bottom but loves every minute of it...

I really think you should see if there are different layouts being played. Around here, Intermediate (MA2) and Advanced (MA1) usually play different layouts. If I'm going to waste a Saturday on a tourney, I would rather play the more challenging layout with better competition.

Look into which layouts are being played on which courses. Ask TD if necessary. If you're familiar with those courses, you should have an idea how you can expect to fare on those courses/layouts. My first tournament, I actually played Open and got killed (not last though). No regrets. I think starting Int or Adv is reasonable if you know you're not out of place there.

Look into rules enough to know if you need to adjust your play when changing from casual to official. And it never hurts to let card mates know it's your first PDGA event. I've really enjoyed all my card mates and learned tons about disc golf and tournament play.