Old 01-12-2018, 12:24 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 103 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
I totally see where they are coming from - I think just a tiny change in their approach would help illuminate the lineup. Just give every brick and mortar shop a poster with flight #s, and maybe try this:

Instead of OLF, OLS, AMS, etc try:

OrionL-F
9|5|-1|3

OrionL-S
9|5|-2|2

AuroraM-S
5|X|X|X

AuroraM-F
5|X|X|X

That way the name of the disc jumps out at you, allows you to develop an impression of the type of disc we're talking here. To me, they completely threw away such a potentially awesome naming convention by obfuscating things with stupid acronyms. I mean, there's nothing more badass in the universe than a quasar - they went the smart route on that mold and the rest of the distance drivers by keeping things simple. But on all the stuff I would actually be throwing as a beginner - mids and fairways - nope.

Discmania isn't much better but at least they include flight #s. Prodigy I actually consider the worst, combining numbers for mold names and plastic types.
Most of their stamps spell out the full name, the biggest exceptions being the Aurora and JLS (which as far as I know is the actual name of the mold). Sure the acronyms make things confusing, doesn’t really bother me now, although I must admit I was hesitant to try Millennium at first for similar reasons. I won’t begrudge anyone who doesn’t want to figure out their lineup... more OLFs for me