Old 01-15-2014, 01:51 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

@sw22: re: what you said, it occurs to me that I should probably slow down even more, if I'm going to use a run up in practice.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2014, 01:52 AM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Me vs. Philo. Mistakes are being made.

Interestingly, as I'm (sick at home) and watching a lot of disc golf, it really is very hard to see anyone loading the back leg by bending it before the collapse, but I assume they are because if you look at frame 4 I'm already over rotated and I think my weight is moving too far, too fast when I should be just rotating.

My elbow is still woefully low. It collapses between frame 3 and 4.

And even though Philo is throwing a pretty huge hyzer bomb and I'm not, I think it's still obvious I'm too high and I need to get a bit lower.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,737 Times in 1,701 Posts

Frame 1 is where it starts going wrong you are balanced behind the heels. Frame 3 is disaster where the rear leg/hip is totally spent and your hips/shoulders are already rotating. You can see Philo is still in the door frame drill position in frame 3 getting ready to start the lawn mower with his rear leg/hip still loaded and core/shoulder coiled back much further. Once you get better balanced and your shoulder rotation delayed, the elbow will follow on plane.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:50 AM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Two steps forward, two steps back.

I already saw your new vid and thought "nice timing, this seems pretty relevant."

I was just watching the Charleston Classic 2013 and noticing Shusterick and McBeth moving that leading hip as your drill teaches (though less exaggerated of course.)

I'm guessing your suggestion would be work on that piece first? Getting the front hip advancing, probably practicing your new drill?

I only want to focus on one thing, but I think it's worth it to try to work on balance in general EVERY time I throw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Frame 1 is where it starts going wrong you are balanced behind the heels. Frame 3 is disaster ...
I can always count on sw22 to make my dismal assessment of my own throws seem too optimistic. Haha. I always go back and watch my ORIGINAL video to assure myself things are slowly but surely getting less horrible.

Last edited by danostrowski; 01-16-2014 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 810 Times in 486 Posts

Look and study frames 3-4. Compare both sets. Your disc is not aligned with your wrist/arm. That's an obvious problem. Also (in your vids) your follow through is weak. Let your arm come back after the throw and relax, and stay back. Don't let it bounce back or stop abruptly. Also....while at the field...don't think about your throws. Do all the thinking at home and while you're field working, just throw, throw, throw and perhaps record everything and eval later.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:39 AM
.:4X World Champion Paul McBeth:.

Niced 307 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Frame 1 is where it starts going wrong you are balanced behind the heels. Frame 3 is disaster where the rear leg/hip is totally spent and your hips/shoulders are already rotating. You can see Philo is still in the door frame drill position in frame 3 getting ready to start the lawn mower with his rear leg/hip still loaded and core/shoulder coiled back much further. Once you get better balanced and your shoulder rotation delayed, the elbow will follow on plane.

I'm going to go try this in the field today
Old 01-16-2014, 01:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 17
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcBeth View Post
Sw22, you're kind of a big deal.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:03 PM
.:4X World Champion Paul McBeth:.

Niced 307 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRATC View Post
Sw22, you're kind of a big deal.
Great concept just don't expect immediate results.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:21 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Look and study frames 3-4. Compare both sets. Your disc is not aligned with your wrist/arm. That's an obvious problem.
Yeah, I'm aware. I've been working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Also....while at the field...don't think about your throws. Do all the thinking at home and while you're field working, just throw, throw, throw and perhaps record everything and eval later.
Yeah, it's just... difficult if you have a regression on the field. I don't want to go out and throw badly and then keep practicing that bad throw, but it's difficult not to micro-manage your throw if you're videoing yourself.

My new goal is to not go out to practice without reviewing video and doing some drills beforehand. Then I can say "OK, got this drill down and I know the 1 thing I want to focus on this time in the field."

Old 01-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 59
Niced 29 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcBeth View Post
Looking forward to seeing you add 100' to your drives!