Courses Played: 117
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 195 Times in 150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
1) What do you throw?
2) Why do you play these rounds?
3) Do you find them helpful?
4) Any discs that have been real eye openers and have helped improve your game?
1) I've only used a Buzzz or Comet but could see myself doing them with lots of discs.

2) They're fun, and it's also very convenient to play a quick round. Sometimes I'll do this while bagging a short 9-holer, and other times I'll do it on a regular 18 hole course with plenty of distance. It's fun to play one disc (e.g. fresh Z Buzzz) against my whole bag and see how it goes. Forcing myself to hit a bunch of shots with a versatile disc like the Buzzz is fun and gives me practice executing different shots.

3) I'd like to say yes but I'm not really convinced they're super helpful. It's more for the fun factor, the quick and simple round, and that shot execution. They're definitely not unhelpful though.

4) I guess both the Buzzz and Comet shine on these rounds. The Buzzz is nice cuz I can still throw forehand and backhand drives. The Comet is nice for working with hyzer but becomes a predominantly backhand round. Both can be surprisingly good putters when you get used to them.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by armiller; 12-07-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 339 Times in 211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
And, nothing better than beating some one with a full bag of discs while you're throwing one. Yes, it happens.
I shouldn't enjoy this, but I do. It always feels good to walk up to a tee with 4 people standing around with 20+ discs in their grips and zucas and deltas and crush a putter on a line 270', then walk past their Shrykes, Cannons, and Bosses on my way to a tap in 2.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 177
Niced 104 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
1) What do you throw?
a) My approach putter. Typically a wizard or harp.

2) Why do you play these rounds?
a) Helps fine tune overall form which is needed once in a while. It also greatly helps evolve my approach game which is the most important shot for me in my old man division. Finally, they're quick, fun, less to think about, etc.

3) Do you find them helpful?
a) See above.

4) Any discs that have been real eye openers and have helped improve your game?
a) After playing a putter only round, you realize just how far and more importantly controlled, your throws can be. Except for the longest holes it's always an eye opener to realize you pretty much can score the same with just a putter.

Nice.

I rarely throw “one disc” rounds, but will often throw a “putters only” round. I am unusual in that I bag multiple putters in my regular bag, so I might go and throw a round with only my WarDENs, Slammers, Suspects, and Deputies.

Why? Until you do it, you’re surprised at what you can do with putters, like Dave says. Also, it Lee images the “driver crutch”, and of course, the putters will very quickly expose flaws in your form — especially the neutral and understable putters.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:12 PM

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 45
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

I've never played an official one-disc round, but

Last year I played a 2-disc round with a Wraith and a Stud. At this point I was putting with an Aviar, but after draining several long putts with the Stud during this round, it quickly replaced the Aviar as my go-to putter. LEARNED: Always try your discs for a variety of shots.

This year, I played a round on a short, 9 hole course, Firebird vs Rest of My Bag. Somehow, the Firebird won, -6 to -5. LEARNED: You don't need a lot of discs to make a good score.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 67
Niced 45 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
I shouldn't enjoy this, but I do. It always feels good to walk up to a tee with 4 people standing around with 20+ discs in their grips and zucas and deltas and crush a putter on a line 270', then walk past their Shrykes, Cannons, and Bosses on my way to a tap in 2.
That is always fun, especially after you see them looking down on you thinking you are just another chucker.

I also enjoy catching up to people have having them ask "How are you shooting?" and you tell them your score and they have the same score, or worse.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:58 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 99 Times in 42 Posts

The only time that I've played a one-disc-round was the first time I played DG.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-08-2017, 01:42 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 28
Niced 138 Times in 75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
Can confirm, this does feel good (when you are the one throwing the putter.)
Old 12-08-2017, 03:27 PM

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 20
Niced 17 Times in 5 Posts

I played a one-disc round last summer just because I really wanted to play and it was too far to drive home and get my bag. It was a fun challenge, but I regret my choice of disc. I used a Mako3, which worked for drives and approaches, but completely messed up my putting form for days afterward. I usually pitch putt with an R-Pro Aviar and I couldn't get any finger spring because of the shape of the Mako3, so I made an adjustment to spin putt it. When I returned to my usual putter, I was missing 10-footers for about a week. Next time, I'll use a putter!
Old 12-08-2017, 04:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 22
Niced 301 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
Can confirm, this does feel good (when you are the one throwing the putter.)
Can't argue with that, . . but, I've been on both ends.

A few years ago I got my full bag carrying A$$ handed to me by a guy throwing nothing but a KC Aviar! Did I hang my head in shame, quit the game or make excuses? No, I payed attention to how he was throwing, disced down and started to change my game. And yes, I learned to throw a Comet! LOL

I still play one disc rounds with him once in a while (both of us using one disc), he still beats me, but not by much and I give him a run for his money once in a while.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:26 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 1
Niced 48 Times in 27 Posts

Sometimes i play driverless rounds, sometimes i play midless rounds, sometimes i play putterless rounds. It depends on which disk i lost last time out. My next round will be putterless.