Old 12-07-2017, 05:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 260 Times in 185 Posts

Mix manufacturers. Let him get a taste of a few brands. Some popular molds that would build a good starter bag (get a base model backpack bag, like the Upper Park "Pinch"):

company: plastic type "model name"
Gateway: Soft "Wizard"
Discraft: X "Buzzz", ESP "Buzzz", and a Z "Buzzz"
Prodigy: 750 "F7"
Legacy: Pinnacle "Patriot"
Innova: Star "Tbird"

Bag and discs should set you back about $140.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2017, 06:01 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 29
Niced 21 Times in 14 Posts

The guys he played with may be able to help too. Ask them what types of discs he was throwing and how he was throwing them. They should be able to suggest 7 or 8 discs. I would suggest 2 putters, 3 mid ranges and 3 drivers with the mid range and drivers slightly varied in stability. You don't want anything too overstable. A shop should be able to help you with this info. With a decent $30/40 bag i would say he is off to a great start.
My quick 8 bag suggestion.
Judge
Rhyno
Roc
Buzz
Tursas
Leopard
River
Escape

Niced: (1)
Old 12-07-2017, 06:04 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 31 Times in 20 Posts

My two cents—

Get an Aviar, a Buzzz, a Leopard, and a Teebird. These four discs are classics, and plenty to get started with. If you want to get a few more discs, choose any combination of Wizard, Pure, Comet, Mako3, Roc, Heat, FD, Eagle, Volt, and Firebird. These are all widely-respected discs that the average serious disc golfer will at least be interested in trying, if not throwing regularly.

Fill out the rest of your budget with a gift card from a disc retailer, either a brick-and-mortar if there's one nearby or an online store (Disc Golf Center, Gotta Go Gotta Throw, Infinite Discs, there are others). Put enough on the card for him to pick out a bag; a basic one will be about $15–$20, and a slightly bigger/better one will be about $30–$40. He can get more discs with whatever's left over.

Niced: (3)
Old 12-09-2017, 01:04 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 83 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bogey View Post
My two cents—

Get an Aviar, a Buzzz, a Leopard, and a Teebird. These four discs are classics, and plenty to get started with. If you want to get a few more discs, choose any combination of Wizard, Pure, Comet, Mako3, Roc, Heat, FD, Eagle, Volt, and Firebird. These are all widely-respected discs that the average serious disc golfer will at least be interested in trying, if not throwing regularly.

Fill out the rest of your budget with a gift card from a disc retailer, either a brick-and-mortar if there's one nearby or an online store (Disc Golf Center, Gotta Go Gotta Throw, Infinite Discs, there are others). Put enough on the card for him to pick out a bag; a basic one will be about $15–$20, and a slightly bigger/better one will be about $30–$40. He can get more discs with whatever's left over.
Volt and Firebird? Well respected, yes, but unless hubby comes with a proficient pitching background and throws FH I don't think those would be good discs for a beginner.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:27 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 11 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
Do you have phone numbers of guys he plays with? They might be good ones to ask because he'll likely end up wanting to throw similar brands and or discs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lines View Post
The guys he played with may be able to help too. Ask them what types of discs he was throwing and how he was throwing them. They should be able to suggest 7 or 8 discs.
I agree with the suggestions to try and contact the people he plays with, if you can. And also trying disc golf yourself! So much fun
Old 12-09-2017, 10:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 31
Niced 87 Times in 57 Posts

Y'all can stop posting now. Wifey hasn't been back since post #7.

Niced: (1)
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 346
Niced 298 Times in 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bogey View Post
My two cents—

Swap the Aviar for a Wizard (pretty much the same thing, I know) and you've got something.

Wizard (Aviar)/Buzzz/Leopard/Teebird is about as solid a beginning setup as you could put together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
Pfffffft. My advice knows no "didn't see it" boundaries.
Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
And give up an opportunity to pontificate like I know something?! What are internet forums for, anyway?

Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
Volt and Firebird? Well respected, yes, but unless hubby comes with a proficient pitching background and throws FH I don't think those would be good discs for a beginner.
Fair point. My thinking on the Firebird was that it would be strictly a utility disc. A Volt, at least to my arm, is a Teebird substitute; not that they fly identically, but I throw them basically the same way on the same lines. If you're up to throwing one, you're up to throwing the other. But I could imagine a case being made for beginners not throwing discs with that speed and stability.