Old 06-10-2019, 04:26 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Keeping Balance After a Putt

I understand the rule that you have to maintain your balance on a putt within 30 feet. My question is: what sort of advantage does it give if a person doesn’t maintain balance?
For instance, if I move toward the basket AFTER I have released my putt and hit chains, it can be called a fault. I’m just not sure what sort of advantage this gives. Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2019, 04:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 442 Times in 253 Posts

I think the easiest way to think of it, is to take it to an extreme and then figure out how to write the rule to make it black and white and where the black and white line needs to be drawn.

The advantage it is trying to take away is on a stepping putt or falling putt. So lets say someone 7' tall with albatross like wing span can stretch way way out and drop the disc in the basket as they fall... ie fail to maintain balance.

It is also something to consider, like is brought up in the multitude of foot fault threads, that being conscious of you footing and maintaining your mark/ supporting point on your lie is work and ignoring those things does have a practical advantage vs someone who actively tries to play it right.

All in all in my opinion its a messy part of the rules. The vagueness in the lack of time makes sense but is really up for interpretation if someone wants to get nit picky. I am an athletic person doing an athletic movement and in every way legal and being athletic I maintained balance through the whole motion but because I didn't wait as long as someone thinks I should to step forward its a fault?

The two big places it really is an issue is with strange footing, and as I said the person that ignores the effort to stay in balance has a distinct advantage over those that put the effort in. AND on kneeling putts. I think the most often fault I've seen is people falling forward onto their hand in a kneeling putt.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:42 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 40.1
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 171 Times in 91 Posts

Easier still.
It is presumed that shorter putts are easier to make.
A falling putt makes the putt shorter.

'Artificially' making the shot easier in this way defeats the whole purpose of the game.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:57 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 691
Niced 1,494 Times in 676 Posts

It's one of our sport's power biased rules. The farther you are from the basket, the stronger you need to be to continue using a putting stance without needing to move your whole body forward during your throwing motion. Our 10m distance minimum also restrains lower powered players from putt-jumping in the same way.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:35 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 14
Niced 129 Times in 68 Posts

++Thread Hijack Alert++

Jump-putting Vs putt-jumping ???

What's the usage here? Isn't the correct grammar to put the descriptor in front of the action? IE star jump, long jump, high jump.

Aren't we talking about types of putts, hence; step putt, jump putt, falling putt, turbo putt, etc?

Definitely not being a grammar nazi - just intrigued by the usage. Is it feldberg I've heard use it like this?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2019, 06:44 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 691
Niced 1,494 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
++Thread Hijack Alert++

What's the usage here? Isn't the correct grammar to put the descriptor in front of the action? IE star jump, long jump, high jump.

Aren't we talking about types of putts, hence; step putt, jump putt, falling putt, turbo putt, etc?

Definitely not being a grammar nazi - just intrigued by the usage. Is it feldberg I've heard use it like this?

Jump putt is the casual term for what is actually legal which is to putt then jump, thus Putt-jumping.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:51 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.3
Courses Played: 355
Niced 1,604 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
++Thread Hijack Alert++

It's to indicate the order they take place. If you jump, then putt, it's illegal. If you putt, then jump, it's legal (outside 10 meters).

As for the advantage of falling putts inside 10 meters, the main advantage is that moving forward at the time of release (and continuing to move forward after) imparts more speed on the disc because you can add leg power to your arm power.

Young men don't understand why this matters, as they have plenty of arm power to get the disc to go 10 meters easily. For everyone else, it is a lot easier to putt if you can keep your forward momentum throughout the throw.

There is also the little bit of distance advantage from releasing the disc closer to the basket.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-10-2019, 06:59 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 14
Niced 129 Times in 68 Posts

Cool, so it's a linguistic device to differentiate between the illegal and legal versions.

Cheers

Next Olympics I'm signing up for the Jump High event
++End Hijack++

Old 06-11-2019, 03:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 21
Niced 50 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime1 View Post
I understand the rule that you have to maintain your balance on a putt within 30 feet. My question is: what sort of advantage does it give if a person doesn’t maintain balance?
For instance, if I move toward the basket AFTER I have released my putt and hit chains, it can be called a fault. I’m just not sure what sort of advantage this gives. Thanks for your input.
For complete accuracy: You do not have to maintain balance. You just cannot have any contact in front of your lie, before you have regained your balance. You are allowed to fall sideways or backwards.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:09 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 25
Niced 716 Times in 614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime1 View Post
That makes it sound like the person has to hold a Rick type leg way out putt with body nearly vertical on a longer just inside 10 meter putt until the disc has gone into the basket or comes to rest and can't lower the leg until then. I have always thought that even if the player lowers the leg again as long as within 10 meters and they do not foot fault they are fine.