Old 06-12-2019, 06:25 PM
Par Member

Niced 62 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Agree with this. I don't use social media, so if you want your disc back, put some reasonable contact info on it. I'll bend over backwards to try and get it back to you once I get ahold of you. But please don't make it a dam chore to find you in the 1st place. Is a phone # really that much more ink than a pdga #??
I understand where you're coming from and I'm not saying you're wrong or anything. But you could have found him on discgolfscene (by pdga number) and sent him a message in the same amount of time it took you to write your post here.

If you use discgolfscene, it's probably less "clicks" or "taps" to message on that then to start a new text and type the entire phone number.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2019, 07:07 PM

Niced 30 Times in 15 Posts

So I gather then that if I find one with just a PDGA # on it, I no longer need to care about trying to return it. The owner isnt interested in being contacted. Check.

For ones with numbers, knowing how I am about answering calls from numbers I don't recognize, I send a text to the phone # with a pic of the disc and take it from there. Every reply I've gotten from doing this has resulted in a returned disc, and every disc of mine that was found that I received a text about, I've gotten back.
Couple weeks ago I received a pic of a disc and told them exactly where I'd lost it, and they laughed and stated it was at a completely different course. So someone had found it, not bothered to text or call, played with it and lost it themselves (had only been missing a few weeks) and someone else found it and contacted me and I got it back.

Thanks to all that take the 10 secs it takes to snap a pic and text it! And GFYS to those that find discs with a local # and name and just keep it.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-12-2019, 08:38 PM
Par Member

Niced 62 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigga View Post
So I gather then that if I find one with just a PDGA # on it, I no longer need to care about trying to return it. The owner isnt interested in being contacted. Check.
I agree with everything else you said and I myself have had someone find my disc 6 hours away from where I lost it.

But I just want to make a point that some people don't write their phone #s on discs because they don't want their phone #s out there. And some people don't contact others because they don't want their phone #s out there. Dgscene doesn't have any phone numbers involved.

Most dgscene course pages are littered with people saying what disc they lost and where they lost it. That website truly provides a lost and found for disc golf.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:00 PM

Courses Played: 3
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I just sent Dwain a message thru discgolfscene.com that someone found one of his ace discs and that they are trying to connect with him here. We will see what happens.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-12-2019, 10:59 PM

Niced 30 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
I agree with everything else you said and I myself have had someone find my disc 6 hours away from where I lost it.

But I just want to make a point that some people don't write their phone #s on discs because they don't want their phone #s out there. And some people don't contact others because they don't want their phone #s out there. Dgscene doesn't have any phone numbers involved.

Most dgscene course pages are littered with people saying what disc they lost and where they lost it. That website truly provides a lost and found for disc golf.
Thanks, I'll check that site out.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:13 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 449 Times in 242 Posts

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from and I'm not saying you're wrong or anything. But you could have found him on discgolfscene (by pdga number) and sent him a message in the same amount of time it took you to write your post here.

If you use discgolfscene, it's probably less "clicks" or "taps" to message on that then to start a new text and type the entire phone number.
Again, assuming that both the owner of the disc and myself use that platform. I, for one, do not. And I know of many a casual player who don't use any sort of online anything. I used to play morning rounds with a few old guys who don't even own computers. Or smart phones. How would they find me if one of them were to find my lost disc?

Heck, the only disc I've lost was returned to me by someone who doesn't even disc. They were walking their dog through the woods adjacent to the park (where I majorly shanked my drive) and the dog found it. He was nice enough to call me.

Not saying you are wrong either, and I understand that some people don't want their numbers floating about. But where does one draw the line of a reasonable attempt to reach a disc owner?
Old 06-13-2019, 10:32 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.2
Courses Played: 140
Niced 195 Times in 85 Posts

The thing about phone numbers is they can change. PDGA numbers don't.

A case in point: I was camping with old friends a few weeks ago at wonderful Wild Haven (Manton, MI) and one of my old friends brought out an Omega putter I gave him in the late '90s. It had my phone numbers on it still, but had somebody tried to contact them, they would have been calling either my land line from four moves ago or my parents' old land line they haven't used in several years.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-13-2019, 12:20 PM

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 17
Niced 20 Times in 9 Posts

I have played a round with Dwain Reeder. I don’t know him personally, but I’m sure I could track him down through mutual friends if your other efforts don’t succeed. Is it his disc, or was he just one of the people who signed someone else’s ace disc?
Old 06-13-2019, 01:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 155
Niced 434 Times in 186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
As a tournament player, PDGA# is my unique mark. I like as little ink as possible on a disc. If I wanted a stranger to call me, I'd put the phone number.
As long as you realize that not putting your phone number means if that stranger finds your disc, your chances to get it back go way down.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 155
Niced 434 Times in 186 Posts

Quote:

By not including your phone number, you reduce the chance of getting a disc back if an old fart like me finds it. I have never heard of discgolfscene so you would not get it back from me if that's the only way to get in touch.

I think the point is, if you want a disc back, you should make it as easy as possible on the finder to contact you. I work on a computer 9-10 hours a day. The last thing i do on my off time is get on a computer. I will make a phone call or send a text though.

Niced: (2)