#1  
Old 03-10-2021, 03:05 PM
Shady Grove Shady Grove is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 2
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Modified fan grip vs. power grip

(First time posting, long time reading, I think this is a new thread)

I am looking for some RHBH grip advice to start actually playing golf as opposed to just throwing plastic. I have been a casual player for 15 years but recently got the bug to improve. I found out that I have been throwing with a modified fan grip instead of a power grip. I'm generally throwing my Champ Wraith on a 300' hyzer and my King 325-350' with a lower hyzer to flat that fades gradually at the end.

I've attached a picture of my grip as well. My question is whether I should make the shift over to a real power grip with my fingers tucked into a fist instead of smushed flat in modified fan. I want to have a plan before some field work.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Apologies if this thread exists and I couldn't find it.

(I also have the same question for RHFH, I throw Star Boss on a slight anhyzer for 325' with the normal 2 fingers. Is a forehand power grip worth the change?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3513.jpg (134.8 KB, 139 views)
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-10-2021, 03:41 PM
BillFleming BillFleming is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Arizona
Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 1,033
Niced 673 Times in 375 Posts
Default

It really comes down to "what works best for you". I have been told that the fan grip is best for control. With the power grip, you most likely will lose some accuracy.

Have you tried a power grip? If so, is the extra distance gained worth any loss of accuracy/control?

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-10-2021, 03:54 PM
elmexdela elmexdela is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Courses Played: 661
Posts: 10,493
Niced 3,354 Times in 1,834 Posts
Default

power grip everything

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-10-2021, 05:12 PM
azplaya25's Avatar
azplaya25 azplaya25 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,076
Niced 943 Times in 482 Posts
Default

Best thing I did for my grip was to hold the disc exactly like I hold a hammer. It’s more than just the grip, it’s about holding the disc in a way that you can leverage the weight of the opposite edge of the disc and sling it out there. Only way I’ve figured out how to do this is to swing a hammer then swing a disc the exact same way

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-10-2021, 06:22 PM
seedlings's Avatar
seedlings seedlings is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northwest Missouri
Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,502
Niced 808 Times in 476 Posts
Default

Agree, whatever feels comfortable and powerful and works. I have switched grips a lot. I fan grip mids and putters, but now I extreme power grip everything on up. What I mean by ‘extreme’ is it’s like you’re giving a ‘thumbs up’ sign, and someone sticks a disc in. Previously, my power grip was with more angled fingers, and it could be I was doing it wrong. Not saying I’m doing it right now, but this is finally working. In-between I tried the FuBonapane grip (do a search) for a while.


Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-10-2021, 07:36 PM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,479
Niced 1,296 Times in 1,055 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Grove View Post
(First time posting, long time reading, I think this is a new thread)

I am looking for some RHBH grip advice to start actually playing golf as opposed to just throwing plastic. I have been a casual player for 15 years but recently got the bug to improve. I found out that I have been throwing with a modified fan grip instead of a power grip. I'm generally throwing my Champ Wraith on a 300' hyzer and my King 325-350' with a lower hyzer to flat that fades gradually at the end.

I've attached a picture of my grip as well. My question is whether I should make the shift over to a real power grip with my fingers tucked into a fist instead of smushed flat in modified fan. I want to have a plan before some field work.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Apologies if this thread exists and I couldn't find it.

(I also have the same question for RHFH, I throw Star Boss on a slight anhyzer for 325' with the normal 2 fingers. Is a forehand power grip worth the change?)
Mine is like that only more slanted, a Power Slant is the grip I have used due to how small my hands are. The power slant is like a fan grip only tucked more to the disc rim.

I know in late 2000's from about 2008-2011 or so the new players I would see on courses using a straight power tuck grip thanks to Nate Doss who did somehow a straight in line power grip at his peak winning the 3 world titles in Open.

I do not think that the straight power tuck grip works unless willing to always use the least amount of disc for the grip on drives even if you have to straight power grip a very very slow putter like a Nova, Rattler, or Pole Cat for the short drive. The straight power tuck grip has no control for most and needs the max d type power to get the control from the disc.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Casey 1988; 03-10-2021 at 07:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-10-2021, 07:43 PM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,479
Niced 1,296 Times in 1,055 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
Agree, whatever feels comfortable and powerful and works. I have switched grips a lot. I fan grip mids and putters, but now I extreme power grip everything on up. What I mean by ‘extreme’ is it’s like you’re giving a ‘thumbs up’ sign, and someone sticks a disc in. Previously, my power grip was with more angled fingers, and it could be I was doing it wrong. Not saying I’m doing it right now, but this is finally working. In-between I tried the FuBonapane grip (do a search) for a while.

Look up on YouTube the old Discraft videos of Nate Doss doing the inline fingers tucked power grip he does when driving, that type of grip needs your furthest style of power drive and thus needs to use the least speed of disc you can use to get to where you want.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-10-2021, 07:47 PM
seedlings's Avatar
seedlings seedlings is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northwest Missouri
Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,502
Niced 808 Times in 476 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Look up on YouTube the old Discraft videos of Nate Doss doing the inline fingers tucked power grip he does when driving, that type of grip needs your furthest style of power drive and thus needs to use the least speed of disc you can use to get to where you want.
I’ve watched that video a dozen times or more. My fingers are short and chubby (oddly dissimilar from my 6’ 5’ 195 pound frame /joke). None of theirs are.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-10-2021, 10:02 PM
air show air show is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Land of Oz
Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 189
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 469
Niced 325 Times in 151 Posts
Default

I've been throwing over 20 yrs now and am still working on my grip. I have found however if you want to throw far some version of a power grip is the way to go.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 03-11-2021, 02:29 AM
Shady Grove Shady Grove is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 2
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
It really comes down to "what works best for you". I have been told that the fan grip is best for control. With the power grip, you most likely will lose some accuracy.

Have you tried a power grip? If so, is the extra distance gained worth any loss of accuracy/control?
I've thrown 3 rounds with the power grip. Overall had a lot of late releases and missed gaps (one was the most embarrassing griplock I've had in a decade). Power felt about the same but that could be confidence and timing.

@azplaya25: Thank you for that hammer analogy, it is helping me position the disc against my palm a lot.

@seedlings: The Bonapane grip terrifies me, so naturally I'll have to experiment to show off in my play group. I appreciated seeing your grip, it is hard to know how much I want to curl my fingers now.

@Casey 1988: I am trying to do a bit more of selecting the least disc for my shots. Watching the pros online while cooped up this last year really drove that idea home. Going out and driving with a Roc or Luna (my new driving putter) for shorter drives has felt like an epiphany. I'd like to see the Slanted Power grip you use, I couldn't find as much on that one yet.

Thanks a ton everyone so far, it's already great advice. Overall it looks like I need to do some field work with a few grips. I've never really focused on form, just lucked out having strong hip rotation from baseball and tennis. I think I need to video and work out obvious form issues (something I've never tried). Maybe I should do this while getting comfortable with a power grip all at the same time?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grip release troubles with fan/stacked grip taco Technique & Strategy 5 11-25-2020 07:42 PM
Power Grip Grip lock issues. BKRanger Technique & Strategy 21 09-09-2014 07:22 PM
Fan grip and putt grip Vonbeezy1 Technique & Strategy 4 01-10-2014 08:42 PM
Nose angle issues in Climo grip vs. power grip dorseymatt Technique & Strategy 9 03-23-2012 08:09 AM
Fan grip Vs. Power Grip QuinnAA199 Technique & Strategy 22 01-09-2012 08:32 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.