Old 03-10-2021, 03:05 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Modified fan grip vs. power grip

(First time posting, long time reading, I think this is a new thread)

I am looking for some RHBH grip advice to start actually playing golf as opposed to just throwing plastic. I have been a casual player for 15 years but recently got the bug to improve. I found out that I have been throwing with a modified fan grip instead of a power grip. I'm generally throwing my Champ Wraith on a 300' hyzer and my King 325-350' with a lower hyzer to flat that fades gradually at the end.

I've attached a picture of my grip as well. My question is whether I should make the shift over to a real power grip with my fingers tucked into a fist instead of smushed flat in modified fan. I want to have a plan before some field work.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Apologies if this thread exists and I couldn't find it.

(I also have the same question for RHFH, I throw Star Boss on a slight anhyzer for 325' with the normal 2 fingers. Is a forehand power grip worth the change?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3513.jpg (134.8 KB, 139 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2021, 03:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 673 Times in 375 Posts

It really comes down to "what works best for you". I have been told that the fan grip is best for control. With the power grip, you most likely will lose some accuracy.

Have you tried a power grip? If so, is the extra distance gained worth any loss of accuracy/control?

Niced: (1)
Old 03-10-2021, 03:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 661
Niced 3,354 Times in 1,834 Posts

power grip everything

Old 03-10-2021, 05:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 943 Times in 482 Posts

Best thing I did for my grip was to hold the disc exactly like I hold a hammer. It’s more than just the grip, it’s about holding the disc in a way that you can leverage the weight of the opposite edge of the disc and sling it out there. Only way I’ve figured out how to do this is to swing a hammer then swing a disc the exact same way

Old 03-10-2021, 06:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 13
Niced 808 Times in 476 Posts

Agree, whatever feels comfortable and powerful and works. I have switched grips a lot. I fan grip mids and putters, but now I extreme power grip everything on up. What I mean by ‘extreme’ is it’s like you’re giving a ‘thumbs up’ sign, and someone sticks a disc in. Previously, my power grip was with more angled fingers, and it could be I was doing it wrong. Not saying I’m doing it right now, but this is finally working. In-between I tried the FuBonapane grip (do a search) for a while.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:36 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,296 Times in 1,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Grove View Post
(First time posting, long time reading, I think this is a new thread)

I am looking for some RHBH grip advice to start actually playing golf as opposed to just throwing plastic. I have been a casual player for 15 years but recently got the bug to improve. I found out that I have been throwing with a modified fan grip instead of a power grip. I'm generally throwing my Champ Wraith on a 300' hyzer and my King 325-350' with a lower hyzer to flat that fades gradually at the end.

I've attached a picture of my grip as well. My question is whether I should make the shift over to a real power grip with my fingers tucked into a fist instead of smushed flat in modified fan. I want to have a plan before some field work.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Apologies if this thread exists and I couldn't find it.

(I also have the same question for RHFH, I throw Star Boss on a slight anhyzer for 325' with the normal 2 fingers. Is a forehand power grip worth the change?)
Mine is like that only more slanted, a Power Slant is the grip I have used due to how small my hands are. The power slant is like a fan grip only tucked more to the disc rim.

I know in late 2000's from about 2008-2011 or so the new players I would see on courses using a straight power tuck grip thanks to Nate Doss who did somehow a straight in line power grip at his peak winning the 3 world titles in Open.

I do not think that the straight power tuck grip works unless willing to always use the least amount of disc for the grip on drives even if you have to straight power grip a very very slow putter like a Nova, Rattler, or Pole Cat for the short drive. The straight power tuck grip has no control for most and needs the max d type power to get the control from the disc.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 03-10-2021 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:43 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,296 Times in 1,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
Agree, whatever feels comfortable and powerful and works. I have switched grips a lot. I fan grip mids and putters, but now I extreme power grip everything on up. What I mean by ‘extreme’ is it’s like you’re giving a ‘thumbs up’ sign, and someone sticks a disc in. Previously, my power grip was with more angled fingers, and it could be I was doing it wrong. Not saying I’m doing it right now, but this is finally working. In-between I tried the FuBonapane grip (do a search) for a while.

Look up on YouTube the old Discraft videos of Nate Doss doing the inline fingers tucked power grip he does when driving, that type of grip needs your furthest style of power drive and thus needs to use the least speed of disc you can use to get to where you want.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 13
Niced 808 Times in 476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Look up on YouTube the old Discraft videos of Nate Doss doing the inline fingers tucked power grip he does when driving, that type of grip needs your furthest style of power drive and thus needs to use the least speed of disc you can use to get to where you want.
I’ve watched that video a dozen times or more. My fingers are short and chubby (oddly dissimilar from my 6’ 5’ 195 pound frame /joke). None of theirs are.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:02 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 189
Niced 325 Times in 151 Posts

I've been throwing over 20 yrs now and am still working on my grip. I have found however if you want to throw far some version of a power grip is the way to go.

Niced: (2)

Old 03-11-2021, 02:29 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
It really comes down to "what works best for you". I have been told that the fan grip is best for control. With the power grip, you most likely will lose some accuracy.

Have you tried a power grip? If so, is the extra distance gained worth any loss of accuracy/control?
I've thrown 3 rounds with the power grip. Overall had a lot of late releases and missed gaps (one was the most embarrassing griplock I've had in a decade). Power felt about the same but that could be confidence and timing.

@azplaya25: Thank you for that hammer analogy, it is helping me position the disc against my palm a lot.

@seedlings: The Bonapane grip terrifies me, so naturally I'll have to experiment to show off in my play group. I appreciated seeing your grip, it is hard to know how much I want to curl my fingers now.

@Casey 1988: I am trying to do a bit more of selecting the least disc for my shots. Watching the pros online while cooped up this last year really drove that idea home. Going out and driving with a Roc or Luna (my new driving putter) for shorter drives has felt like an epiphany. I'd like to see the Slanted Power grip you use, I couldn't find as much on that one yet.

Thanks a ton everyone so far, it's already great advice. Overall it looks like I need to do some field work with a few grips. I've never really focused on form, just lucked out having strong hip rotation from baseball and tennis. I think I need to video and work out obvious form issues (something I've never tried). Maybe I should do this while getting comfortable with a power grip all at the same time?