#121  
Old 11-17-2021, 10:55 AM
biscoe biscoe is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: spotsylvania, va
Years Playing: 28
Courses Played: 122
Posts: 8,266
Niced 5,278 Times in 1,948 Posts
Default

This event was more interesting to me with the different format. The idea that the PDGA can simply wave their wand and call something new a Major puts me off a bit as well.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 11-17-2021, 11:00 AM
ChrisWoj's Avatar
ChrisWoj ChrisWoj is offline
Common Core Crusader
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 152
Posts: 2,138
Niced 1,667 Times in 821 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanger129 View Post
I think a better question is why would we want to incorporate new formats into disc golf's Majors and the DGPT regular season? I think we should have consistency at the professional level and that's essentially what Uli is advocating for.

Stroke play is fine for standalone events, but the truly top-level events in the sport should be played using the same format. I think the DGPT Championship is an exception because A) it is still working to garner its own level of prestige, B) it provides a way to reward players for consistently good performance over the season, and C) it's not a Major.

I'd love to see a Ryder Cup-style event for disc golf. It would be very entertaining for fans and professionals alike and doesn't need to compete with the prestige of a Major.
Whatever random ass name we give it - Major, Cup, Doodah - I don't care. I'm just saying a highly prestigious event using a different format.

As for why: It is a very exciting format, IMO. It brings the head-to-head end game style of play to the entire round, as two players lock into a strategic battle where they are influenced in their play-style throughout every round as opposed to just when it comes down to the final holes of a tournament.

I'm not saying the whole tour needs to be match play, or even half the events, just something big that develops a strong level of prestige using the match play format. In traditional golf (not to compare, but to show that it doesn't NEED to be all stroke play all tour) they have the WGC Match Play Championship.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 11-17-2021, 11:12 AM
ballgolfconvert ballgolfconvert is offline
Tiny White Balls
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Off playing with the DGCR crew
Years Playing: 38.4
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 660
Niced 325 Times in 218 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
Whatever random ass name we give it - Major, Cup, Doodah - I don't care. I'm just saying a highly prestigious event using a different format.

As for why: It is a very exciting format, IMO. It brings the head-to-head end game style of play to the entire round, as two players lock into a strategic battle where they are influenced in their play-style throughout every round as opposed to just when it comes down to the final holes of a tournament.

I'm not saying the whole tour needs to be match play, or even half the events, just something big that develops a strong level of prestige using the match play format. In traditional golf (not to compare, but to show that it doesn't NEED to be all stroke play all tour) they have the WGC Match Play Championship.
I don't disagree on a match play event being relevant. I just don't think that having the the top 4 move to match play crowns the most deserving champion in many instances.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 11-18-2021, 01:04 PM
ChrisWoj's Avatar
ChrisWoj ChrisWoj is offline
Common Core Crusader
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 152
Posts: 2,138
Niced 1,667 Times in 821 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
I don't disagree on a match play event being relevant. I just don't think that having the the top 4 move to match play crowns the most deserving champion in many instances.
Yeah, I definitely don't have a complaint about them removing the element where an event moves between formats mid-flow. That part of it was a bit wonky.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 11-18-2021, 06:04 PM
MikeK MikeK is offline
Supreme Disc Golf Authority
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Orleans
Years Playing: 27
Courses Played: 321
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 348
Niced 175 Times in 78 Posts
Default

Entertaining thread here. I agree with ya Biscoe, calling this a major might be a stretch, unless the PDGA is supplying serious major-level added cash. Would love to see the PDGA pony up, goodness knows they can afford it.

Nate is living rent-free in rupor’s head I see. Jealous much? Long live President Nate...he’s earned his title. Didn’t just happen overnight. I salute all the endless hours of work Nate did for years to help take disc golf to the next level.

Not a big fan of match play myself. Fun for a couple events a year but that’s enough.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 11-22-2021, 01:09 PM
robdeforge robdeforge is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 1,080
Niced 823 Times in 430 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Nate is living rent-free in rupor’s head I see. Jealous much? Long live President Nate...he’s earned his title. Didn’t just happen overnight. I salute all the endless hours of work Nate did for years to help take disc golf to the next level.
hard for me to support a bigot, but you do you

Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 11-22-2021, 01:22 PM
biscoe biscoe is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: spotsylvania, va
Years Playing: 28
Courses Played: 122
Posts: 8,266
Niced 5,278 Times in 1,948 Posts
Default

It will be very interesting to see who does and does not decide to attend this thing. For the 'touring in a van" players there will be a choice after Texas States of heading east to a Silver Series in Florida, then an A tier in SC, then this event followed by back to Arkansas for Jonesboro vs staying farther west and hitting Vintage Open and hanging in Arkansas for a couple weeks leading to Jonesboro. I have a hard time envisioning the top dogs prioritizing this over Jonesboro in any way.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 11-22-2021, 04:53 PM
_MTL_ _MTL_ is offline
Flippy Flopper
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 29
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,326
Niced 1,671 Times in 615 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
It will be very interesting to see who does and does not decide to attend this thing. For the 'touring in a van" players there will be a choice after Texas States of heading east to a Silver Series in Florida, then an A tier in SC, then this event followed by back to Arkansas for Jonesboro vs staying farther west and hitting Vintage Open and hanging in Arkansas for a couple weeks leading to Jonesboro. I have a hard time envisioning the top dogs prioritizing this over Jonesboro in any way.
Will everyone play CC? No, of course not.

But I'm fairly confident with the format change, the label of a major and on a proven course, a large majority will come.

and if not, we wish them well at their other events!

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 11-23-2021, 09:30 AM
MikeK MikeK is offline
Supreme Disc Golf Authority
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Orleans
Years Playing: 27
Courses Played: 321
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 348
Niced 175 Times in 78 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
hard for me to support a bigot, but you do you
Think you’re confusing Nate with John Duesler.
Reply With Quote
 

  #130  
Old 11-23-2021, 09:48 AM
robdeforge robdeforge is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 1,080
Niced 823 Times in 430 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Think you’re confusing Nate with John Duesler.
no, I'm not.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aussie Open - 2015 PDGA Major _bluemoon Tournaments & Leagues 333 02-13-2015 04:33 PM
2013 Tim Selinske US Masters - PDGA Major - Burlington, NC _MTL_ Tournaments & Leagues 91 05-20-2013 02:30 PM
PDGA World Champions grodney General Disc Golf Chat 31 02-20-2012 10:03 PM
Battle of Saratoga - Sept. 4th - NEFA/PDGA-C CaptainAnhyzer Tournaments & Leagues 4 09-02-2010 06:59 AM
PDGA Ratings Update May 4th Kwick General Disc Golf Chat 29 05-04-2010 10:02 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.